Topic

Backpacking Among the Sequoias?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Backpacking Among the Sequoias?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Scott Winkleman

@sewinkleman

I'm looking for recommendations for a backpacking trip primarily through an old growth Sequoia or Giant Redwood forest in California. Nothing too strenuous, in the 3 day range (give or take).

I live in Colorado and most of my trips have taken place here or in a neighboring state. I've done a little searching here with limited results and thought there's surely someone who can recommend an outstanding trail or location.

Any suggestions would be appreciated along with best time of year to do it.

Thanks!

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Mostly day hikes. I think a backpack trip would need to creatively avoid civilization to spend much distance in the redwoods.

Winter is easier because even the most popular groves are mostly empty. A few hundred yards off the road in the Sequoias and it's just you and your snowshoes or skis.

For the coast redwoods winter is beautiful and damp. In Redwood National Park I once left the Redwood Creek/Tall Trees trailhead in Orick, forded the waist-deep river, and hiked to the tallest known tree in the world. I slept in my bivy cuddled against the base. Each time I woke I was amazed at the height- hundreds of feet to the first branch. Then headed out the next day in a gentle rain. Never saw another person.

Try Redwood Hikes- Redwood National Park
    and Redwood Hikes- Main Page for lots of good ideas.

Paul Young

@paulyoung80

In the Santa Cruz mountains you could easily make a few days backpacking trip in the redwoods. There is 29.5 mile the skyline to the sea trail. It goes mostly through big basin park. There is also trail camps at Pescadero Creek County Park, and castle rock state park. There are trails between all of those parks.

Links:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyline-to-the-Sea_Trail
    http://www.redwoodhikes.com/Portola/Portola.html

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Which one? Sierra Big Trees or Coast Redwoods?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools