Topic

Ohlone Wilderness Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Ohlone Wilderness Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Robert Recinos

@rgrrecinos

Locale: Redwood City

I am planning a trip on the Ohlone Wilderness Trail in Feb. So far there are 2 of us going. The trip is 28 miles one way, we plan on making the round trip in 2 days. Leave on a Saturday morning and hike 28 miles, camp, hike 28 miles back on Sunday. The trailhead we will start at is Mission Peak in Fremont, Ca. and end up at Lake Valle in Livermore.

Here is an exerpt from the trail site.

"Overview: Ohlone Wilderness Trail is one wicked walk: 28 miles with over 7,600 feet of elevation gain. But it's worth the strain as you soak up amazing vistas, scout for wildlife and marvel at being in such a remote locale so close to a huge metropolis. (Large raptors like eagles and hawks can often be spotted swooping down on their doomed prey).

Parks form the trailheads at both ends of the trail: Mission Peak Regional Preserve in Fremont on the west and Del Valle Regional Park in Livermore on the east. The trail passes Rose Peak, the highest accessible point in Alameda County, and traverses Sunol Regional Wilderness, one of the East BAy's premiere hiking destinations. Trails can get crowded on weekends at Mission Peak and Sunol, but the rest of time you'll have the trails largely to yourself (and a few grazing cattle.)

This hike is not for rookies, though conditioned day hikers looking to try backpacking should be able to do it over three days"

That's one way for three days. HA HA HA. We are going to go 56 miles in 2 days.

So who's with me??

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

I've done it before, and yes, totally doable in a day. Where are you going to camp @ Lake De Valle? The family campground there is horrendous….but there are spots for stealth camping on that end. As far as I know, the chance a ranger would trek off the beaten path looking for stealth campers is next to zero.

Jedd G

@jeddg

Locale: SF Bay

I'm tempted by your offer but don't think I can keep up. I've been wanting to do the whole trail for a while, so I'm doing 1 way in 2 days this weekend. Partly because I think that's all I can handle, and partly because this is my first time doing the whole trail and I want to enjoy it.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

February is going to be too early if you expect to find wildflowers along that trail. March and April are much better for wildflowers. During February, you are more likely to find a little snow up around Rose Peak.
    –B.G.–

Robert Recinos

@rgrrecinos

"wildflowers" thats a good one LOL…. That comment was a cut and paste from a website. I don't care about the foliage just the winter pratice to put in some long days and miles.

Dates for the trip is weekend of Feb. 27-28.

It will be fun…

Robert Recinos

@rgrrecinos

Dates are posted so please join us.

Justin Carter
    BPL Member

@orangebananas

Locale: San Francisco East Bay

I might be in, but only for Saturday. I have plans for Sunday.
    I did Del Valle to Sunol in a day, it wasn't bad. I could have kept going.

Robert Recinos

@rgrrecinos

Justin,

Saturdays fine. I might have one of my friends just go for saturday also. Let me know. We plan to start at mission peak side at around 6:30am.

Justin Carter
    BPL Member

@orangebananas

Locale: San Francisco East Bay

Not going to be able to make it Saturday either. Gotta pick up my parents from the airport.

Hopefully next time.

Robert Recinos

@rgrrecinos

Well looks like closer the trip gets my friends are dropping off one by one. Right now it is back down to just me and one of my buddies.

Still one week left for anyone who changes their mind.

We are going to use Hammer Perpeteum for the main fuel source. Also Lake Devalle allows fire, so we are going to bring one duraflame log so we can have a little fire at the end of the first night.

I am going to bring 8oz of Scapa 16 yr scotch if that temps anyone…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools