Topic

Momentum fabric differences?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Momentum fabric differences?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all! I am wondering if there are any differences between the two Momentum fabrics available through Thru-Hiker? One is Momentum mini ripstop, the other is Momentum taffeta.

I used the Momentum mini ripstop when constructing my down quilt, as it came in the Thru-Hiker down quilt kit… but now I am going to be making an UL bivy, and am wondering which of these Momentum fabrics is appropriate for a bivy top. Are they the same? Does it even matter?

Thank you for your time and information!
    -Alexander

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

There have been some posts on the Thru-Hiker forum about the two. The taffeta is the same fabric without the thicker fibers in the ripstop grid. The taffeta is softer but slightly less tear resistant.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Jim! Didn't think to search Thru-Hiker's forum…

Went for the rip, since it is essentially being used as a shell for a quilt or a bag.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

the only reason to choose the taf is that it is slightly (and i mean ever so slightly)smoother against the skin. For a bivy top i'd use the rip 100% of the time.

-Tim

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

So is Momentum the brand name at all of the suppliers?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Tim!

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

"So is Momentum the brand name at all of the suppliers?"

No

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Josh, where else can one get their hands on this fabric? (other than thru-hiker)

-Tim

Rob Line

@dragonstar

IIRC thru-hiker is the only place you can get it. I think it was a custom order.

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

Locale: In the District

Tim,
    Here's a link to some info from Ron at MLD about M90.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Titanium Goat will sell you cut yardage of taffeta "momentum" in black. They will also sell you cut yardage of ripstop "momentum" in balck, when they have it to spare. Just send DJ an email, [email protected]

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Correction: Titanium Goat will sell you "intrepid" its a 20 denier fabric, calandered one side, with a DWR coting, you can get in taffeta or ripstop, TiGoat has it in black. Its the same thing thru hiker calls "#$%@#@$(R)" My apologies, we'll trade mark some other made up name for it.

Pricing is as follows:
    1yd-25yds……… $9.00/yd
    26yds-50yds…… $8.50/yd
    51yds-100yds…. $8.00/yd
    over 100yds……. $7.50/yd

Some people are upset, I've recieved emails, that I've offered this fabric for sale here, to the DIY crowd. As I said above, I'm sorry for trying to help people.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

No good deed goes unpunished.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

"No good deed goes unpunished"

I should know this by now.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Is this fabric good for a wind shirt or does the calendaring significantly reduce the breathability?

Thanks

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

I see that Ron has edited the post, in the link matt posted, WOW!

Making up trade names for products that are known by other names and sold by other people, does not make them better or worth more money. For example I can unequivocally say that the Dyneema that Thru-hiker sells and MLD uses are not exclusive to them, same goes for other fabrics, the difference is that Thru-Hiker and MLD call it something different than what everyone else calls it, and trade mark the made up name they use. Doesn't make it any better, or worth more money.

Bottom line, I will not be lectured about business ethics, by those that have none.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Props Josh!

I wish we could divest ourselves of all the corporate BS, at least on this particular forum.

People forget where they came from real quick once they're not there anymore though. Always has been, always will be.

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

Thank you Josh for making this available. Another fine resource for the MYOGers.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think I can answer my original question now that I have both fabrics in hand…

I am just about done with my bivy (I will post pics this afternoon), but while cutting the foot box, I grabbed a piece of the Momentum left over from the summer quilt I had just made and I noticed that it seemed a tad lighter… then I realized that my quilt had been made from the taffeta, not the rip. The Taffeta feels a bit lighter and seems to breathe a little better too. Anyhwho, thought someone might want to know…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools