Topic

SUL Camp Hatchet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) SUL Camp Hatchet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Which is better for splitting hairs, a hatchet or a tomahawk?

Just kidding! Thanks for the distinction of hatchet vs. hawk.

Lapsley Hope

@laps

For winter camping yes most definitely, but the ultralight isn't applicable. Check out Ray Mears, among others.
    When the temps are below 40 degrees I want a campfire, and "foraging" for adequate firewood can be a challenge.
    Fiskars and gransfors bruks are makers of excellent hatches.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

"Which is better for splitting hairs, a hatchet or a tomahawk?"

Tomahawk. It has a thinner profile and slices better.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Almost 55 years ago, I saw another young scout glance an axe off a log into his leg.

Ever since then I have been a saw person who carries a couple military tourniquets and a splitting edge to be pounded with a log.

Peter Boysen
    BPL Member

@peterboysen

I always wanted to see something like this too, where it could be filled once arrived. I have no way to machine or mold something like that, and I think the trickiest thing would be keeping the width of the hatchet thin enough, while also having enough space to meaningfully add weight with water or sand. Potentially some sort of rear attachment that holds a larger reservoir, but that would do nutty things with the balance unless it was very cleverly shaped.

Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming

I don't think that would be meaningful in a SUL sized hatchet. There wouldn't be enough space inside to add enough weight to the head and still stay thin. Plus I would guess there would be structural integrity issues with the head being hollow, filled with sand or not.

If you got a decent hatchet down that light, say between 8 and 10 oz, the chopping ability is nullified. You would be better off with a solid knife of the same weight and batoning wood.

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

Hi Lawson, I think its a nice thought, but as someone who carries a hatchet sometimes, I would never want an SUL hatchet. If you want a hatchet to work well, having a heavy head and the right length handle are important.

As RJ points out, the mini hatchet from Gransfors is not a great performer, but, IMHO,its only because of the lack of handle length. If you are going to carry a hatchet to chop and split basic camp wood, you would need its performance to warrant the weight of having it.

I rarely carry a knife, except when going out alone. Generally there's nothing to cut. If I want to build fires I will carry a hatchet. If I want to chop wood, I need a hatchet that works well. I think that a puny titanium hatchet will not create the force necessary for chopping wood well, and therefore isn't worth using or carrying at all. This is just one of those categories that the extra weight is wanted rather than unwanted. Same goes for ice axes. If you're really swinging those carbon and titanium axes around you know they aren't going as deep into the ice and that's their lack of weight. Laws of nature.

There must be some cutoff point at which you won't have enough weight there to create a good hard chopping force. I can't imagine that tipping point is much below one lb in all honesty. There are many options in many price ranges. My axe of choice is the Gransfors Outdoor Axe, a hybrid camp axe that looks much like a tomahawk, chops and splits, has an uncharacteristically long handle and slightly smaller head, and does the job well for everything I need. Its spendy. But then again, so is all the hand made lightweight specialty gear many of us use for sleeping and shelter as well.

http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/products/forest-axes/gransfors-outdoor-axe/

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools