Topic

Snow Camping Carson Pass 01-01-10

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Snow Camping Carson Pass 01-01-10

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    sean mccutcheon

@aldosean93

Locale: East Bay

Here are some pictures from the snow camping trip my son and I went on this last weekend. We snow shoed in made a basecamp, then cross country skied from there. It was a good chance to try out our new Osprey EXOS 46 packs and for me to try my new WM Flight Jacket. Both worked out great! Our base weights were low, but we did sled in some extra stuff (fire wood, big tarps, extra pads and tent just in case we needed it.)
    It snowed most the day and night.Saturday was beautiful around 45 degrees.Sunday the same. Both nights were in the teens but in the igloo it was neve below 32 degrees. If you have never tryed to snow camp you should try it.Connor snow shoeingCross-country skiingMeadowIglooConnor campfireLeave No Trace

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

That igloo is beautiful! How long did it take to build it?

sean mccutcheon

@aldosean93

Alright I obviously I don't know hw to insert pictures.

Here are some pictures from the snow camping trip my son and I went on this last weekend. We snow shoed in made a basecamp, then cross country skied from there. It was a good chance to try out our new Osprey EXOS 46 packs and for me to try my new WM Flight Jacket. Both worked out great! Our base weights were low, but we did sled in some extra stuff (fire wood, big tarps, extra pads and tent just in case we needed it.)
    It snowed most the day and night.Saturday was beautiful around 45 degrees.Sunday the same. Both nights were in the teens but in the igloo it was neve below 32 degrees. If you have never tryed to snow camp you should try it!
    ~Sean

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Thanks for sharing your trip Sean, looks like you guys had fun messing around in the snow and getting out for a few. A couple questions, did you utilize one of those block forming tools for your igloo? I'd like to see some interior pics if you get a chance or care to. As far as clothing and gear, what was your sleeping setup like inside the igloo since you mentioned the temperature never dropped below 32F?

sean mccutcheon

@aldosean93

It took about 3hrs. After packing down the snow, we built half then waited until later that evening when the temps dropped.

Ed Collyer

@ecollyer

Locale: East Bay Area

I was out on 01/01/10 near Silver Lake, which is near Carson Pass. We built a quinzhee and pulled our pulks. The snow was so wet and it rained most of the time, not snow. Silver lake is around 7000 ft. How was it for you?

That is crazy, We decided on Silver Lake over Miess at the last second, we might have seen you if not for a little luck!

Andrew Wolff
    Spectator

@andrew

Locale: Chattanooga

I too, am very impressed with the Igloo. Wish we'd get enough snow around here to try that. And yes what tools did you use to build it?

sean mccutcheon

@aldosean93

Eugene,I use a WM Badger and my son has a TNF Blue Kazoo.
    We used two pads.bags

sean mccutcheon

@aldosean93

Ed,
    We left Pleasanton at 6:40am and hit chain control below Silver Lake. It snowed all day and I think it was actually sleeting starting around 7:00pm. The snow made great blocks but they had a line of ice though the middle and would fall apart sometimes.Blocks

sean mccutcheon

@aldosean93

We used a snow saw

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

That's awesome Sean…..I definitely want to get in on some of that!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Cool stuff, You got some serious skills to build a Igloo.I was one the PCT at Sugar Bowl the same day(Saturday) It was snowing and windy all at the same time and cold!!!!

Ed Collyer

@ecollyer

Locale: East Bay Area

Hey Sean,
    Your son looks like he is having a blast! How many igloos have you built? I have never tried but have build snow caves and quinzhees. Your son is also pulling a pulk, did you make it and how did it work?

I think you were a little higher than I. We drove home from South Lake just after New Years and the moon was SO BRIGHT!. We went the home and packed and drove back the next day for a night hike. We didn't use headlamps or lights the whole trek (~ 2.5 mi) at night. Did you do any night hiking?

We built a quinzhee but didn't even use it, we ended up hiking all night, just playing inn the snow. This night was filled with clouds and was not as bright but was still fun.

sean mccutcheon

@aldosean93

Ed, I've built 5 or 6 igloo's, pluse 4 kitchens. I'm a boy scout leader and lead 1 or 2 snow outings a year. We made our pulks (sleds) after the one's in Allen & Mikes Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book. That book is the best! Meiss Snow Paek is at 8,500 ft. No night hiking but the moon was huge.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools