Topic

Full side zip shell pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Full side zip shell pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    A Wilson
    BPL Member

@alwilson

Locale: Earth

I'm looking for a pair of reasonably lightweight and durable shell pants to use for summer mountaineering in the Alps, along with some winter/spring ski-randoneering. I would like something that has full side zips, so that they can be put on/off without danger of crampons snagging or skis being removed. I tried the Arc'teryx beta AR, and I like the feel, but I'm holding out for full zips.

I noticed that the Denali-light crew 2009 used Montbell Alpine Pants. Does anyone have any experience or other recommendations.

I presume that they would stay in the pack most of the time for mountaineering, and probably used on the descent sections of ski tours.

Thanks for your help.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Matt Hage also used Marmot Precip full zips during his 2007 trip to Denali.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

To me, the Beta AR essentially has full side zips. I know that they stop in the upper thigh, but practically, that's a design improvement, rather than a disadvantage when compared to full zips. Are you looking for separating side zips?

Andy Berner
    BPL Member

@berner9

Locale: Michigan

If you do decide to go with only a 3/4ish zip you should check out the RAB Bergen pants. Made of eVENT and they only weigh 340g/12oz.

Michael B

@mbenvenuto

Locale: Vermont

I have red ledge thunderlight full zip pants. I paid something like $20 for them, but I am not sure I have ever really used them, so can't comment on how well they work. Once I went to using softshell pants, I no longer needed shell pants, so never put them on, and have stopped carrying them. Are you in shorts for these summer/spring trips? If you have pants on already, I am not sure you need the shell pants on top, particularly for the weight of carrying full zips (I totally understand the need for full zips though, since changing pants wearing skis or snowshoes is practically impossible without them).

A Wilson
    BPL Member

@alwilson

Locale: Earth

Since I'll be making mostly day climbs from refuges in the Alps, a lighter weight offering for emergency use is really all I need. The Marmot precip looks like a great compromise for weight/price in that regard.

That being said, these would perhaps be best coupled with a softshell pant. I have no experience with softshells, coming mostly from the hiking side where their breathability and weight are prohibitive. In the past I've always climbed in the Cascade Mountain Uniform: shorts over long-johns. Ugly, but lightweight and effective. This classic, coupled with LW emergency WPB/proof pants has served me well for years; but the softshell is intriguing.

Nicholas Luhr

@nhluhr

Marmot PreCips are okay (lightweight…) but they don't have a fly opening so putting them on over a climbing harness is useless.

I really like my Outdoor Research Furio pants. They aren't ultra-light, but they are fairly bombproof.

Alan Little

@alanl

Locale: Bavarian & Austrian Alps

I wouldn't recommend Marmot Precips for climbing – wore mine for a day's wet weather scrambling in the Karwendel last summer and came away with two big rips. They might be ok for mostly-snow routes, but they're too flimsy for rock.

Stephen R

@32729

+1 for the red ledge pants. My size mediums weigh 10.5 oz with full side zips. Got them for ~$25 on rei outlet. They work great for winter climbing and mountaineering.

These pants are essentially the same thing as the precip pants – a laminate waterproof breathable full zip rain pant – but the red ledge are a fraction of the price. Easily replaceable if I put a crampon through them too many times.

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

I've used them on three thru-hikes and they've served well.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi,

Take a look at the Montane Spectra trousers
    http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/shell/spectra-pants/269

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools