Topic

Your opinions on shelter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Your opinions on shelter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Let me add some "weight" to this thread. :-)

My first tent was a $14.00 K-Mart special rip stop nylon pup tent style that I treated with 4 or 5 cans of silicone waterproofing spray from Wal-Mart. This tent after the silicone spray treatment weighed in at 4 pounds and change. I don't use it anymore but I have a sentimental attachment to it because my son and I camped out in it when he was quite young in of all places our back yard. :-)

These days I am a hanger. I use a Henessy Expedition Asym Hammock. It weighs in at 2 pounds 12 ounces without the "snakeskins" as shipped from Hennessy. I have substituted lighter weight shockcord, removed some of the plastic hardware and replaced their guylines with Kelty Triptease. These changes I believe pretty much offset the weight of the snakeskins which are silnylon.

I have tried the ground and prefer just "hanging around".

Party On ! 2010

Newton

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Even though I sleep much better in the recliner chair style position afforded me in my hammock the urge to go lighter has me looking into tarp style tents. I am in no hurry to get back to the ground but the Bilgy Light Weight Tarp Shelter kit at Quest Outfitters has piqued my interest. A one person style tips the scales at 1 pound 9 ounces including an allowance for 2 ounces of stakes. It sports a bathtub floor and no-seeum mesh walls in a tarp style tent.

The cost seems reasonable at @$100.00 and it will give me a way to scratch my MYOG itch. :-)

Party On ! 2010

Newton

Benjamin Crowley

@benajah

Locale: West, now

My sister is scared of animals climbing under the tarp(that is very silly).

I went to take my dog out to pee the other night, right on the front porch, in the suburbs, old boy got sprayed by a skunk. Right there not two feet from my front door. He is a 210 lb Mastiff too, know what it takes to clean skunk stink out of a 210 pound dog? It sucks

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

I have a question for tarp users. If you were positive that it wouldn't rain (I can take you somewhere in the Sierras in summer and guarantee that) would you even bother with the tarp? What benefit does it provide if you are POSITIVE it will not rain?

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools