Topic

Best light synthetic 15-25F sleeping bags

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best light synthetic 15-25F sleeping bags

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Sebastian Ventris

@sabme

Locale: SW UK

Hi

I always thought the Moonstone Delta Cirrus was a good option; $150 or less, 1lbs 12oz (794g) Reg, 32oF (0oC), full zip, PG.Delta, Pertex. Not as warm as you requested but easily boosted by the right clothing.

I’ve personally used a TNF Propel bag for years with a Rab Top bag inside during the winter and an insulated jacket over me during spring/fall. That setup has always done me fine. TNF Propel rated at 40oF (4oC), 1lb (mine weighs 550g), PG.Delta, Pertex, no zip (older model).

Personally think Polarguard is a better way to go than Primaloft.

And not sure about the Montbell bags. Tried the UL Down Sheet but way too thin. Heard that the zip/neck baffles aren’t very draft proof on their bags, think that was a revue I read on BPL. Tried the UL Thermawrap Parka and didn’t like it, prefer my Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover. But I was very fond of my old UL Thermawrap Jacket until my Paty came along.

Cheers

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Sebastian,

Did you find the Moonstone Delta true to its temp rating?

That’s a great suggestion – using a lighter lower temp rated bag in combination with warm clothing – that I’ve thought of as well. That would give max versatility for summer use as well as late fall and early spring, and winter with the addition of an inner bag or belay parka and pants. I’ve often found 15-20F bags way too warm for summer use. Would anyone care to comment on what other lighter lower temp rated synthetic bags they’ve used and what type of clothing layers they’ve worn to stay warm in 15-20F? I’m looking for full zip (and mateable) bags.

Also, can anyone comment on their 2 bag setup for winter – lighter lower temp rated bag (35-40F) + inner bag for cold temps?

I’ve heard Polarguard is more durable than Primaloft.

Sebastian, very curious to ask you, why do you like your Patagonia Micro Puff so much more than your UL Thermawrap synthetic? I ask because I have the Patagonia Hooded Micro Puff Jacket, it’s an excellent super warm jacket for the weight – amazingly warm – perhaps the warmest jacket for the weight I’ve ever had – and I have last year’s model, at 16 ounces, lighter than the current model which weighs in at around 20-21 ounces because of a heavier, more durable and water resistant ripstop material but with the same amount of fill).

I was thinking of switching the Hooded PAtagonia Micro Puff, at 16 ounces, for the Montbell hooded Thermawrap Parka, which weighs in at 12 ounces. I have a heavier belay jacket (DAS) for winter use, and thought the Montbell Thermawrap Parka might be more versatile (and definitely lighter). I prefer to use hooded jackets for the extra warmth in an emergency.

David Patterson
    BPL Member

@davidp80

Sebastian,

Sorry to add to the bombardment of questions being directed your way, but I’m curious about whether you think TNF Propel bag is accurately rated at 40 degrees. I’m also curious about the packed size. Are you using the included stuff sack (which I’ve heard is unusually small for a synthetic bag)? If so, have you had any difficult in retaining the bags original loft height (I’ve also heard that Primaloft can be compressed more easily and safely without permanent damnage)?

Thanks in advance,

-Dave:)

Dane Burke

@dane

Locale: Western Washington

Sorry it took me so long to reply mountain walker. At first I replaced it with a Nunatak Arc Ghost, but after a cold wet night decided I wanted the assurance of synthetic again. So I bought a Fanatic Fringe synthetic quilt…rated to 32F, I’ve had it down to the upper 20s comfortably.

In other words, I didn’t replace it with another 15-25F synthetic mummy, so I don’t think I can help :(

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Correction to my earlier post. I did some more checking on European sites (just love Google translations from the German) and discovered that the copper manikins rated the Orion at 30F. The Fission is apparently not sold in Europe, but the Cats Meow was rated at 28F. The weather on my recent trips hasn’t been cooperating but I was comfortable in my Orion at around 30F wearing a lightweight base layer and hat.

Sebastian Ventris

@sabme

Locale: SW UK

Hi

I’m sure it’s way too late to reply now. I wish BPL had more sofisticated Forums, so I could easily find my posts and replies.

I’ve never owned the Moonstone bag. I think all bag temp ratings are wrong I always add 10 degrees centigrade on.

I like my Micro Puff beter than Thermawrap because it’s so much puffier. I took a look at the new Thermawrap Jacket but looked a bit cheap and zip very skinny. I prefer my Micro Puff Pullover to the Jacket (owned both) as it’s so much lighter for virtually the same warmth.

Cheers

Please if any one listening make this forums more useable.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The best buy I found for a 20F bag was the Sierra Designs Wild Bill. Virtuall all the 20F synthetic bags I found were hovering right around 3 pounds. Altrec has them for $70: http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/22585/

The one I would like to try is the Integral Designs Renaissance: http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=721&CFID=7378347&CFTOKEN=43005992&mainproducttypeid=1

I ended up with a Moonstone Delta Cirrus 32F bag that is 28oz. Moonstone bought the farm and there were some good deals on their gear in Seattle (Moonstone’s home town). I’m of a mind that the only way I’m going to get a light and compressible cold weather bag is to go with down and that means something like Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends— and three crisp $100 bills.

I think I can actually do better by using my 32F bag and just buying a pair of Patagonia Micropuff pants (I have a jacket)and just sleeping in them– maybe some nice insulated booties too :) Then I get more toys, less weight and less cost.

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

Try this bag. Bought it for my niece who is spending 6 months with Americorps in the Mohave desert. She reports that she has had only cozy experiences with it and great durability. She is a heavily built almost 6 foot woman and she says that she is very comfortable with the sizing of the regular. The lack of seaming and use of glue makes this bag lighter that most others in the this temp range.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Does it have a full length zip? Is there a men’s version?

I’m looking for lightweight synthetic bags for a 6 ft male and a 5 ft 6 female with full zips that can be mated (R and L matching zips). Lack of a full zip really reduces comfort range.

Thanks for the suggestion

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

A warning about the Lamina 15 is that it’s heavier than the manufacturers specs. My regular size weighs in at 3lbs 9 oz.

I suspect the mfg. specs are for the short size.

The bag does have a full length zipper (ends just above the foot pocket), but I don’t know if you can zip two together. The zipper can be fully separated so I suspect that you can.

If your interested I can give you a good deal on mine, which has never seen the out of doors. email me at rkinfntrymn (at)yahoo(dot)com

Hope this helps

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I just followed through all those kirafu links, pretty amazing to read.
    It’s all pretty moot cuz this still is backpackinglight.com not bsckpackingreallyheavyandannoying.com

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

I only indicated that my niece is a big woman not that there are different models. MH makes a regular and a long. I believe that the regular would fit both of you. It is roomy enough to wear garments inside for added warmth without compromising loft. I did not see that the Manufacturers wieghts were that far off. Within an oz or two is the usual specs for most bag makers. They do mate. They stuff better than most synthetics and rebound better than most as well. Order one from an online retail outfit that permits returns and try it out. I don’t believe you will be disappointed. My niece especially liked the anotomical footbox allowing her feet to settle in a natural position.

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools