Topic

Black Diamond Guiding Light

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Black Diamond Guiding Light

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brett Rasmussen
    BPL Member

@ascientist

Locale: Grants Pass, Oregon

I have no connections to this sale other than I bought one of these tents from the same seller a few days ago. I payed $360.00 USD which I thought was a good deal. The auction for another one will end in about 35 minutes from when this was posted. So far the price is only at $305.00 It could go up, but if anyone is on the market for this type of tent it could be worth looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BLACK-DIAMOND-GUIDING-LIGHT-4-PERSON-4-SEASON-TENT_W0QQitemZ310187291115QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item48389a71eb

Here is a link to a review of the tent by backpackinglight:
    https://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/process

Brett Rasmussen
    BPL Member

@ascientist

Looks like it went for $360.00 I've seen several of these black diamond epic fabrics tents going for around 40% off lately.

donald buckner
    Spectator

@toomanyarrows

Locale: Southeast U.S.

Jumped on a Steep and Cheap deal for $363 with shipping, only to find it cheaper on Amazon. $309 with free shipping! I think with 2 people and gear it will be luxurious and a bargain. Backcountry was kind enough to refund my Visa since I had ordered just an hour prior to my new deal discovery. Class act.

Brett Rasmussen
    BPL Member

@ascientist

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Guiding-4-Person-4-Season/dp/B000FBBJWC

51% off, that is a good deal. Always a good idea to do a quick price check before buying from steep and cheap. The recent influx of highly discounted Black Diamond tents made of epic fabric must be the result of their new line of tents made of Nano Shield fabric.

I thought it would be worth mentioning that it is not at all difficult to convert the water resistant epic fabric to fully waterproof fabric with the application silicone diluted with mineral spirits. I have done this to both my Highlight and Guiding Light with great results.

I weighted the Highlight before and after and found a 2.25oz weight gain. I applied a 5:1 ratio of mineral spirits to silicone over the entire surface of epic fabric with a sponge paint brush. The fabric no longer mists through even heavy rain. From what I understand epic fabric is really just rip-stop with a light impregnation of silicone so it readily accepts the silicone. The whole process only took about an hour and it was surprising how little it affected the appearance of the fabric. Almost cannot tell it was treated. Obviously this treatment affect the breathable of the fabric.

donald buckner
    Spectator

@toomanyarrows

Locale: Southeast U.S.

Thanks for the tip!

Frank Steele

@knarfster

Locale: Arizona

A bit heavy isn't it?

Brett Rasmussen
    BPL Member

@ascientist

For a 4 person free standing 4 season tent it is actually very light.

Brett Rasmussen
    BPL Member

@ascientist

Amazon price now shows only 29% off. But I bet it shows up again on steep and cheap for around 45% off.

bill mead

@billmeadmusic

Hi Brett,

I have a Black Diamond skylight with Epic fabric I would like to waterproof. What kind of silicone and mineral spirits did you use? Also, in regards to breathability, how do you think it will effect my tent? condensation issues? And, do you think this waterproofing method is permanant, or will it flake or wear off eventually?

Thanks so much fdor your help!

Bill

Brett Rasmussen
    BPL Member

@ascientist

I used ratio of 5 parts orderless mineral spirits to 1 part clear caulking silicone. I bought both at walmart. I applied it with a sponge brush. Normal Epic fabric is very breathable and I'm sure it will effect this. It is a trade off. I think preventing condensation will now be mostly dependent on weather conditions and how well I use traditional venting methods like partially opening the door or window of the tent. I don't have a skylight, so I'm not sure what options it has in that regard. This treatment is permanent. It really soaks into the fabric. I'm very confident there is no way it is going to come of the epic fabric in any way. Hope this help.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools