Topic

MLD “Newt” Pack (SubProphet)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD “Newt” Pack (SubProphet)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Ron has posted prototype pictures, on the MLD Facebook site, of the new 2010 Newt pack. This is a small volume Prophet type pack weighing in at 10 oz.

Thank you Ron.

David Ure

@familyguy

Good stuff. Ron has indicated that the Newt will be about sized about 25% less. I wonder if the 'Super' option will be available on this pack as well?

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

In looking closely at the pictures of the "Newt" and reading Ron's description, posted on the MLD Facebook site, I think the pack is a near perfect blend of small volume, light weight, durability and design features.
    I feel strongly that both the Newt and the new SoloMid will be very strong additions to the MLD lineup.

2010 is looking to be a great year for UL gear.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Link please?

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thanks, Tom.

Very nice indeed! I've got two packs that I'm happy with… so why do I keep clicking over to MLD site and salivating over the packs there???

Not that anyone is asking, but for me, I would want a more functional waist belt — like 1" — or simply skip it altogether. OTOH, methinks there's weight to be saved by shortening the front spectra cord and removing the two topmost mini bungee clips (functionally it only needs to go up to the top of the front mesh pocket and not almost to the top of the pack itself which makes it more awkward to reach into the front mesh pocket). Also, if the top compression strap is 3/4" or more (hard to tell from photo) — then methinks one can safely use a 1/2" strap and still retain sufficient toughness and full functionality.

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Locale: So Cal

At a projected 1900ci total volume it should be the perfect pack for UL 2-3 night trips – and being full featured it's the pack I've been looking for.
    Appearing in design like a smaller Prophet if one doesn't like require some of the hardware, I'd assume most if not all options would be detachable/attachable.

Another well thought out design/product by MLD….2 weeks will be a long wait!!

Aaron Granda
    BPL Member

@throckmorton

Isn't that a Golite Day?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

If 'Lucy' is the ancestress of what later evolved to become homo sapiens… I see the Golite Breeze similarly as the ancestor of all frameless packs.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Well just when I thought I might be able to pass on the Newt the details look to sway me. I've been really happy with my Prophet, but could use a slightly smaller pack with minimal features. I'm really glad to see that Ron is using a simple design that allows for stripple elements and is keeping the cost down. If it is $130 then I will likely be buying one.

Jamie

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

Looks very close to my personal favorite MLD pack, the Revelation, only in Dyneema grid this time.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

John,
    The Revelation, mine in any case, was a spectralite version of the Prophet in relation to pack volume. The 2010 Newt having narrower, more athletic cut, and with less total volume is a new direction for MLD. Mine, the 2010 Newt, is ordered and I will post pictures of the pack taken side by side with my 2010 Prophet so all can see the differences.

TD

Patrick Caulder
    BPL Member

@pcaulder

Locale: SouthEast

I bought the prototype from a member here. Really nice pack and I think it will be perfect for quick summer trips. I like the new hardware on it and now the side pockets use shock cord and cord locks instead of just elastic.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools