Topic

William Bartram Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips William Bartram Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Crawford
    Spectator

@getupandgo

Locale: SouthEast

I am planning to thru hike the GA and NC section of the Bartram Trail. I just want to know if anyone else hiked the trail during this time of the year. What were conditions like? What are some things that I should keep an eye out for?
    Help would be appreciated. Happy hiking.

Andrew Wolff
    Spectator

@andrew

Locale: Chattanooga

I hiked the Bartrm trail a couple of years ago in the fall. I have a trip report of sorts back in the photos section if you are interested. The main thing you'll have to be prepared for is the cold – it had already snowed once a few days before I went and I went expecting more snow and sub freezing weather, it ended up being pretty nice and didn't go below freezing on me. If you are going now you'll have snow on the ground and cold days and nights. I liked this trail and if I can be of further assistance let me know.

Kyle Crawford
    Spectator

@getupandgo

Yea, that is really the only worry I have- the cold.
    I think it's supposed to be in the low 20's at night. Hopefully I'll be alright with my twenty degree bag and down jacket. I would love to see a trip report. Got a link? Any other help would be appreciated.

Andrew Wolff
    Spectator

@andrew

Here's a link to my posted trip report:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=16659&skip_to_post=125770#125770

As I state in my report I found Brawny's trail notes most useful for navigation, its kind of difficult to put together a really good complete mapset of this trail, however the trail is mostly easy to follow except for a couple of short areas where the blazes get pretty thin, most notably northbound coming down the mountain to Nantahala Lake. As for the cold I'd plan my camp spots for sheltered areas and stay off the high balds.

Kyle Crawford
    Spectator

@getupandgo

Thanks Andrew,

I do intend to camp in lower elevation areas. I just have a very broad map of the georgia and north carolina section laminated. I think I'll be fine. I had a chance to work on the Nantahala River this summer- what a beautiful place. I hope to write a trip report and post pics.

Andrew Wolff
    Spectator

@andrew

When do you plan on going and how long for? Definately take the trail notes as they will be very useful for making all the right turns – as you probably know the Bartram shares tread with other trail and has some road sections and where you are going next is not always immediantly obvious.

Kyle Crawford
    Spectator

@getupandgo

Andrew,
    I left last Tuesday. I made it to Franklin from Russell Bridge and had to quit on Saturday due to ride situations at the end. I was VERY upset I couldn't completre the trail just 38 miles short. But I do intend to thru hike it completely in the near future. You were right about the maps. Overall, it was pretty easy to follow. But from Buckeye Creek to Wallace Branch (the road section) it was very difficult to follow. Only saw 3 or 4 yellow blazes on telephone poles the entire 14 miles. Luckily, a Trail Angel/Bartram Trail Society Member came by and showed me the way. I had to ward off several aggressive dogs on this section as well. Everything else was beautiful. I got a chance to sleep in the bus! That really surprised me. I was just hiking along and all of a sudden there was an old, beaten down bus in the middle of the woods on a ridgeline.HA. Oh, and my camera died 30 min into the trip, so I have about 3 pics to show for it. Not worth a trip report-will give a report next time I attempt a thru.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools