Topic

Southeast Backpacking Light Group?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Southeast Backpacking Light Group?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Are any of you south-easterners interested in forming a backpacking light group? The main objective would be to meet new people and organize trips (or post your trip announcements so that others can join you). Personally, going ultralight and therefore doing more miles per day has definitely left me with fewer people to backpack with. I was thinking of using facebook or yahoo groups to help organize, but am open to any other ideas.

Thoughts?

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

Search for your options on meetup.com as there are likely quite a few already around.

Joseph Jacaruso
    BPL Member

@captainjac

Locale: Southeast

Yes, I'm interested. I would love to hike with some fellow easteners that don't roll their eyes at me when I show up without a pack towering over my head!

Stephen Cohen
    Spectator

@esteban

Locale: Northeast

I would also be interested in this. Haven't found too many folks who are interested in backpacking the way I like to. I often either go solo or slow down a lot to make a trip happen.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Joeseph and Stephen –

What medium do you think we should use to help facilitate this? Facebook? Yahoo Groups? Meetup? Other?

I would love to hear from everyone that wants to be a part of this. I want this to be OUR group and everyone to have ownership.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

" Facebook? Yahoo Groups? Meetup? Other?"

FWIW, Meetup will cost you around $150 per year (but you can charge a membership fee to offset this if you wish). It's got a lot of good options that you certainly wouldn't find on Facebook, but whether it's worth it or not depends on what you want to get out of it.

Best of luck. If I lived further south I'd join in a second!

alan york
    BPL Member

@alanyork9

Locale: PIEDMONT N.C.

Count me in….Face Book is easy….would be fun to share some local favorite hikes.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I'm in N. FL but I do have interest! I am a bit of an outcast….I refuse to get on facebook!!!!

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Brad, Count me in, let me know if you need any help.

Jamie

Stephen Cohen
    Spectator

@esteban

Seems to be the way to go to me. Most people (sorry Todd) have an account already and it's free.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I started a facebook group if anyone wants to join up. We will see how it goes and decide if that meets our needs or if we need something more. Please give any suggestions or feedback that you may have.

Facebook BPL Group

alan york
    BPL Member

@alanyork9

Locale: PIEDMONT N.C.

Thanks for starting this group!One click on your link and its done!

Matt Holmes

@mholmes

Locale: North Texas- Fort Worth

This is a great idea on your part. I wish I was in the Southeast instead of Texas. May need to start a Texas thread………

Stephen Cohen
    Spectator

@esteban

Thanks Bradford. Just joined up. Can't wait to share my future plans. Likely a Standing Indian trip in the near future.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

" Most people (sorry Todd) have an account "

No problem! I know I'm in the minority here! My wife gives me he*&!! I may have to get on facebook.

Stephen Cohen
    Spectator

@esteban

I didn't sign on for a solid six months and have recently been on a lot in order to keep up with family. I am often not into keeping up with technology. I just got text messaging this week!

Robert Carver
    BPL Member

@rcarver

Locale: Southeast TN

Brad, the SBLG sounds like a great idea.

I am slowly getting on the tech. wagon. Got my first computer and digital camera last year. Got an ipod and texting on my cell phone this year.

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

Count me in.

JJ Mathes

@jmathes

Locale: Southeast US

Todd- you're not the only one that doesn't use FB, I don't either, but I'm interesting in a ULBP group in the SE

Eddy Walker

@ewker

Locale: southeast

add me to the list of folks who doesn't use Facebook. I am trying to go UL but it is slow going. Not sure I can keep up with the way Brad hikes.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I may have to get on facebook."

Resist the urge!

Anonymous
    Inactive

""I may have to get on facebook."

"Resist the urge!"

Yeah. Post on "Ugly Mugs" instead.

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

Great call Bradford on starting this FB group.

Fairly new to the SE and actively backpacking weekends, be great to meet others down this way who know the lay of the land.

Jim

Ray Dunham

@raymond

Locale: SE US

Count me in. I go out at least once a month throughout the entire year.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

First off, thanks for signing up everyone. I have a question though, do you have the option to post events (trips) or do I have to do that? I want to make sure that everyone can post trips, pics, etc? Does it give you that option? It's on the left side under the picture on my screen.

For the non-facebook users, if there is enough interest, we could always start a meetup group. Meetup has some good features but it isn't free and I hate for anyone to have to pay anything to be a part of the group. Another option would be Yahoo Groups.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools