Topic

Fill Density

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Fill Density

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    DAVE DREHER

@akdave

I searched for quit awhile and just could not find an answer. What I'm doing is filling a exped type sleeping pad. And maybe the answer was there but I did not understand. anyway

My question is what is the optimal density or compression for down.

The one I'm using is a 750 fill weight I can calculate the approximate area of my bag,,I just can't find a formula for calculating the best fill percentage,,,I don't mind an overfill of sorts, but dont want to under fill.

Any formulas out there? Or rules of thumb.

Thanks

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

Dave,

For garments and sleeping bags the rule of thumb is 10-20% overfill. In a sleeping pad you do not have to rely on the down to loft the shell material. This means you can get away with very little down; it will still fully loft and provide useful insulation value. The amount of down used versus R value is roughly linear until you start getting into extreme over stuffing. For a ballpark figure using a standard 72×20 pad I would give 5oz of down an R value of 5 and so on. I say ballpark because design and many other factors do play a role.

I know it can be a tricky topic to research because most of the available information is related to garments, sleeping bags and quilts. I would love to see lab testing done specifically for down mats.

Good luck on the project Dave. Keep us updated and be sure to post some pictures!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools