Topic

Baby’s First Backpacking Trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Baby’s First Backpacking Trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Wolff
    Spectator

@andrew

Locale: Chattanooga

We knew we wanted to take Emily backpacking. We had successfully taken her car camping to our local state park at about 2 and a half months of age. We just couldn't seem to find the right weekend, either we had to be somewhere else or it was raining, mostly it was raining. There may be others who would not have been stopped by the kind of downpours the southeast got this fall but we were not that brave. Finally one Saturday afternoon in the beginning of November, when she was about 7 months, everything fell into place, no other commitments and suddenly no rain. Almost on the spur of the moment we loaded up and headed to everybodies first time trail in this area, Beechbottom trail to Jacks River.

Emily's First BP Trip 1

We have an old model Kelty Baby carrier, it is not lightweight. We also took our old NF Bullfrog tent, also not lightweight, but we knew temps would hit the low 40's and that the tent would be warmer than the Spinntwinn Tarp. Everything else was UL gear and that made all the difference because a 19 lb baby is also not lightweight.

Emily's First BP Trip 2

We pulled into camp just as it was getting dark, set up the tent built a little fire and ate. Emily fussed just a little at bed time, could have been the strange place, could have been some teething. She slepted wrapped in my MB Alpine Down jacket which we bought just for her and stayed warm except for her hands which she insists on raising over her head.

Emily's First BP Trip 3

Emily loved riding in the backpack carrier and sitting around camp too.

Emily's First BP Trip 4

Hopefully she doesn't get too heavy before the Spring.

Emily's First BP Trip 5

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Way to go!!

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

She is a cutie!

Luck that she has you for parent who will give her a life that where she has exposure to the outdoors, fresh air, and nature.

I started taking my daughter out for short trips when she was 2.5 years old and she thinks nothing of using a cat hole and is completely comfortable outdoors and sleeping in a tent.

Please post more of your future trips!

-Tony

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Nice one Andrew!
    I love to see folks getting their kids into the outdoors at a young age.
    Brings back some good memories for me. :)

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Andrew,
    Nice to see you passing it along to the next generation. Hope you didn't get any spit-up on the Montbell!
    TOm

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Andrew,
    Way to go! I LOVE the 1st picture. Your daughter looks so happy back there.Very cool!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools