Topic

Rice and beer can pots – is it possible?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Rice and beer can pots – is it possible?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Tom Wheless
    Spectator

@towheless

Hi Dave,
    What about using ground rice (like cream-of-rice). I’ve got one of those hand grinders at home and I make my own ground rice from time to time from both white rice and brown rice. Ground brown rice cooks very quickly , about 8 minutes, on my stove at home in a double-boiler (I typically use a double boiler to avoid having it burn on the bottom). Ground white rice should cook even quicker.

I would imagine you could cook it on a camp stove by just pouring the rice into boiling water and then putting it in a cozy for 6-10 minutes, although I haven’t tried this.

The typical ratio I use is 1 part rice to 2 parts water by volume (1 cup rice to 2 cups water). I like it rather thick though, so you might want to try 1:2.5 or even 1:3 as a starting point.

Also, you can experiment with how coarse or fine you grind the rice, also. Mine is typically about the consistency of very-coarse corn meal. Like the corn meal used for polenta. A finer grind than that would cook quicker.

Happy experimenting!

Tom

Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools