Topic

40*F: UL60 quilt + bivy OR down pants/jacket + bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 40*F: UL60 quilt + bivy OR down pants/jacket + bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I am putting together a gear list for a speedy hike where I don't plan on sleeping for more than 2 hours at a time. The temps shouldn't fall below 40*F and it will be dry.

I'm considering buying either the BPL UL60 or Pro90 quilts, but to save money I was wondering if I could just use my Montbell Down Inner pants (6.5oz) along with an insulating jacket or vest inside a bivy.

It seems that the UL60 quilt might be good to 55*F and the Pro90 quilt might be good to 45-50*F. Bivy should add about 5*F warmth. Anyone have experience to back this up? Anyone think the down pants will provide enough warmth to replace either of those quilts?

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

"Anyone think the down pants will provide enough warmth to replace either of those quilts?"

Not sure. At 40F, you may find your hands and feet suffer if you only have down pants and jacket. A quilt will add a lot more warmth for the extremities. Then again, 2 hours is not long, so it may work…

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Lynn–I think you are probably right about the hands and feet.

I've also been throwing around the idea of getting a Blizzard Survival Blanket (http://www.botachtactical.com/mpiexproteem.html) at around 12oz and $8-30 (depending on source). My only concern with this would be moisture retention (but I could 'sweat' it out for my limited 2 hr naps) and the fact that it doesn't pack up small once used. I might get one and use it on my overnight training hikes leading up to my official outing.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I took a BPL UL60 Quilt down to around 38-40 degrees one time in normal hiking clothes. I was borderline hypothermic the next moring. However just for perspective this was in Febuary so it was a long night. I've done the same thing with a balaclava and down coat and been much more comfortable. For two hours I think the quilt would work fine but I don't think there is a lot of safety margin there if something goes wrong(also remember I had only done 8 miles that day I almost froze, I'm guessing you'll be a lot more drained than I was).

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

With the current sale, I just ordered one UL60 and one Pro90 quilt, with the intent to return the one I don't want. I'm thinking the 60 might work in conjuction with a Montbell thermawrap vest (which I'll have along for the night hiking if needed) and a MLD Superlight bivy. My only problem with the UL60 is durability–it will probably only be warm enough for one season of use due to loss of loft. The Pro90, while heavier, might be as warm as the UL60 after loss of loft in a year or two. Ideally, the Nunatak Edge would be great, but sooo pricey.

I'll be doing 65+ mile days, so you might be right about the level of exhaustion requiring a warmer system than the UL60 gives.

James Patsalides
    BPL Member

@jamespatsalides-com

Locale: New England

Z:
    I took my pro-90 quilt down to low 30s, but that was with a puffy jacket (EMS ascent lightweight), merino hat, liner gloves, fluffy wool socks and cap 2 long johns under my hiking pants – all inside my VAPR Quantum bivy and lying on my GG thinlite insulating pad. I was comfortable but not quite "toasty". Not sure I would have enjoyed it without the extra clothes…

I think it might be risky doing the UL60 quilt without at least a couple of extra layers (especially on your head & hands) – what about a UL60 balaclava, glove liners plus quilt and something like a patagonia UL sweater as an extra top layer? You especially will want to be toasty after your heroic 65+ mile days and only grabbing 2 hours of zzz's!

Good luck & don't forget to post a trip report…

Cheers, James.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Sounds like a race pace trip, in which case a puffy jacket and bivvy might be fine. You'll wake up freezing on schedule, no alarm needed!

I have a UL60 quilt. I figure it's good (for me) down to 40 with a light, hooded down jacket. I think you'd get more warm for the weight from the quilt than a pair of puff pants.

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

I actually just found someone willing to sell me their Nunatak Arc AT. I'm all set.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools