Topic

The Acorn Stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear The Acorn Stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

You stovies have got to take a look at this innovative stove design that "Just Tinkering" came up with.

Acorn Stove

Michael Meiser

@mmeiser

Locale: Michigan

Awesome dude.

I've made several pressurized alcohol stoves of this nature. All of them side jet.

Will have to try this. Extremely simple to make compared to the other double wall stoves of this nature.

Doesn't look like it builds up the same amount of pressure but we'll see.

Gives me a great idea though for a self contained version that doesn't need a seperate stand is high pressure and should work with a Heineken of Fosters can pot.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Hi m m, look forward to your self contained version. Just Tinkering made an informative post yesterday on how he maintains the integrety of the material as he does the assembly. Ice is his friend :-)

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

The most important aspect of JustTinkering's post is that he provided complete data (boil time, water volume, starting water temperature). I wish more people would do that because without complete data, there's no way to assess stove performance.

I calculated the performance of his stove:

It put 274 watts (936 btu/h) to the pot. Unfortunately, that isn't all that good. A pressurized jet soda can stove, and even just a soda can with some fiberglass insulation stuffed in it typically will deliver about 325 watts. JT's stove is about 55% efficient (assumed 50/50 ethanol, methanol) which is OK.

That said, it's a neat design and maybe with some refinement, would make a good project for tool deprived stove makers.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Keith, that is very true. He's doing a great job. He posted a video on How To Make it. Take a look see.

The second most important thing about Just Tinkering is: He's having fun making the stoves and creating. In his first video you can see many stoves in the background, sign of a stovie :-)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools