Topic

PB & Sugar

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Dylan Walker

@dylanwalker

Might not be for everyone, but I recently took this with me on a trip through Big Sur. Mixed peanut butter with powdered sugar until fairly thick, and threw it into a lightweight plastic container.

Whenever we'd stop, I'd dip in and eat a few spoonfuls. Tastes great, is high in fat and protein, and keeps you going.

Justin Chaussee

@judach

Locale: Earth

That's actually how you make the peanut butter in Reces' Peanut Butter Cups. PB and powdered sugar. :-)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Try mixing PB and honey – even better imho.

cheers

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Try mixing PB and honey – even better imho."

Have a look at my 'protein balls,' on the forums here somewhere, peanut or (my choice) almond butter with choc. protein powder, agave syrup, dried fruit and coconut. Absolutely fabulous!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Douglas,
    Neither the BPL search engine nor Google can find 'protein balls'.

They sound interesting, and I'd like to try them.

Any other clues?

Thanks.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Hi Greg,

Here ya go:

Protein balls:

1 cup almond butter
    1/2 cup dried fruit (I use the Just Tomatoes brand)
    1/2 cup rice protein powder (chocolate flavor)
    1/8 cup agave nectar
    shredded coconut

Mix first four ingredients. Form 1-inch balls. Roll in coconut to coat. Delicious! I love them on the trail.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Protein balls:

1 cup almond butter
    1/2 cup dried fruit (I use the Just Tomatoes brand)
    1/2 cup rice protein powder (chocolate flavor)
    1/8 cup agave nectar
    shredded coconut"

That sounds delish, Doug. How long will they keep at room temp up to, say, 80 degrees(for a few hours)?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Douglas –
    Thank you.
    I'm on it.

Merry and Happy.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"How long will they keep at room temp up to, say, 80 degrees(for a few hours)?"

Hi Tom. I've hiked with them for a whole day in hot weather. They certainly get mushy when warm! But still edible. I even did an overnighter with them once in late summer. Again, quite mushy. But I don't think there's anything in there that will 'spoil.' If so, someone here is sure to correct me!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I'd give those days if not weeks in the pack – as long as they are packed well and tightly sealed.
    Most likely they get soft due to the natural nut butter – which is very normal!

I make an energy ball recipe and they are good for a long time :-)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"They certainly get mushy when warm! But still edible. I even did an overnighter with them once in late summer. Again, quite mushy. But I don't think there's anything in there that will 'spoil.'"

Hey Douglas,

Thanks for the feedback. I think I may tinker around with adding something like oat bran to see if I can't get them to maintain a solid consistency. The flavor/calories/nutrition part sounds great just as is, but mushy is a problem for me on multiday trips. Bottom line, if I can firm them up they'll likely become part of my menu. Yummm!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Bottom line, if I can firm them up they'll likely become part of my menu. Yummm!"

Hey Tom! Please do post if you alter and it turns out well!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Hey Tom! Please do post if you alter and it turns out well!"

Will do, Doug. How much coconut, BTW?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Will do, Doug. How much coconut, BTW?"

The recipe called for a certain amount, but I never found that enough! So I just dump a bunch in a bowl, roll the pieces for a very light coating, and then put the leftover coconut back in its package.

FWIW, also, I use crunchy Almond Butter instead of smooth, gives it a nice texture.

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

I made a batch of these. I used homemade cashew butter, melted sugar, powdered milk, and a tiny bit of chipotle chile paste. Then rolled them into logs and dipped them in tempered chocolate. They look like little turds but taste pretty good. The chocolate provides a little structure. I'll have to test them on the trail to see how well they last.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I'll have to test them on the trail to see how well they last."

Standing by for a debriefing. Little turds, huh? Does that mean their's no pressure to share? ;}

William McCreight

@whmcc

Locale: Oregon, USA

Thought I'd share a quick recipe I have used for years…interested in hearing how this stacks up insofar as caloric density, etc. if anyone wants to take a crack at figuring that part out.

GRUNCH–like the inside of a Peanut Butter Cup, without the Chocolate (best eaten with a big chocolate bar in the other hand)

Take peanut butter and honey, and fold them together in a big bowl, then fold in powdered milk (I like the kind with some butterfat in it to increase calories and yummy factor) and crushed graham crackers. You can also add nuts, raisins, or any other dried whatever. Eventually, the "wetness" of the honey and peanut butter oils gets absorbed into the dry ingredients, and you can adjust the amounts of ingredients to get a consistency you like.

I normally then stuff it into a plastic tub or other container, or a number of containers if a large batch, or heavy plastic bags, where it then sets up some and becomes relatively solid. Keeps forever, doesn't spoil, has a lot of calories and protein, and is just plain great to eat with a spoon, broken into chunks, or again, best with chocolate.

I first used this in the 1970's on a 300 miler on the PCT in Oregon where we did not cook, and lived on gorp, grunch, granola, and roasted soybeans, as well as the obligate chocolate bars.

Try it…believe me, it is a keeper!!

(I posted this as a new message thread a few days back, and now realize there is a whole other thread on the same subject, so have copied/pasted here also)

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I may have to give the grunch a shot. I need some way to pack 24 days of food at 6000 calories a day, preferably with most of it in my Bearikade.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

24 days worth of food?

Get about 24 pounds of Walkers Pure Butter Shortbread Rounds. It is about 150 calories per ounce. You grind it all up and pour it into your bear canister. After a few days on the trail, you won't be able to stomach anymore than a pound per day of it.
    –B.G.–

Jack Bauer

@mclovin

Hi tom,

where can i buy rice protein powder from?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

You can get rice protein powder from proteinfactory.com.

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

Is it important that it be rice protein powder? Would Soy or Whey protein powder work just as well?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools