Topic

Summer quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Summer quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

thats 2.95 per foot not yd!! Big difference

if i was going to guess i'd say the .75 is 2.5oz XP and the .9 is 3.7oz combat. I too have heard he is now using climashield (same makers as his beloved 3d)

when i ordered one of his quilt kits (in like 2005) the fabric was 1.1oz nylon ripstop, the same as you can get everywhere else.

-Tim

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

I'm late in this discussion, but Tom at Nunatak will work with you to customize a quilt to fit your needs. In my case, I wanted the width of the Ghost, but not that much insulation as I wanted a summer weight quilt. He ended up taking out an ounce of down (gave me a discount on that too), decreasing the baffles, and helped me decide on a regular length (a little extra length to allow for stretching out my feet and pulling the quilt up over my neck since I'm a stomach/side sleeper). I ended up with a great 11 oz quilt perfectly suited for summer backpacking, which I can stretch down to around freezing with the addition of insulated pants & jacket and base layers.

I think for the custom work, and the mess of trying to work with down, it is a real bargain.

Pam

Peter O
    BPL Member

@shouse

Locale: Texas!

thanks for the clear up Tim, didn't catch change in units.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Tim, this question is probably better suited to the MYOG thread, but while you are here ;), might you suggest a needle size appropriate for working with the Momentum .9, and reccomend a nice thread to use in constructing my Thru-Hiker kit quilt? I was thinking the Hydrophobe 100% Polyester Thread with Anti-Wicking Finish TEX 24, also from Thru-Hiker, might do the job… but if a standard Gutermann poly will do… I have a few spools of Gutermann poly upholstery thread, but I feel this may be too heavy?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

i use the guterman, not the heavy stuff but the standard 100% poly. I use a needle from size 9-11. I normally use 9 or 10 but 11 is fine if its all you have.

-Tim

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Tim! Appreciate the info!

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools