Topic

Lightest weight baselayers?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest weight baselayers?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Just when you think Golite is getting too far from ultralight they will surprise you with great new gear. Take the ultra20 and many of their shelters over the past few years. Mark my words ; )

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I don't have a special interest in selling you on the BPL UL Merino or silk, but here's a a brief summary of the instructions for hand washing: "Add detergent to cold water in your bathroom sink. Let soak for 3 minutes. Agitate with your hands a little bit. Rinse. Roll in towel to remove water. Hang dry."

I squeeze the water out instead of using the towel. (DO NOT wring the fabric) Towel would be better but I don't have in home laundry, and drying towels is a pain.

Process takes about 10 minutes, and overnight to dry my BPL UL hoody.

Target sells off concentrated brand woolite that will last you a year for maybe $10. It's been so long since I bought it I can't remember what it cost. I run in either my BPL Beartooth or UL hoody 5 days a week and wash them every 10 wears minimum(merino doesn't smell; it's one of the selling points), but maybe I'm a slob.

My point being, it's still expensive up front, but don't let the manual washing scare you off.

Rob Lee
    BPL Member

@ouzel-701

Locale: Southern High Plains

Ive been looking at the Patagonia Merino 1; wanting something with the odor control of wool, dries fast, light, breathes well, but not too hot to wear at 90F.

The fabric is 63% merino/37% poly. They say the merino is wrapped around a poly core. crew S/S = 3.3oz; L/S crew = 4.9oz. Quite pricey! Can't remember exactly but something like $60 for a S/S T.

This combo may suit your needs. I'd sure like to see a review.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

nm

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

We are no longer making the Silk tops but will have new lightweight tops
    to replace it in the Spring.

Brenda
    Sales and Service Supervisor

Regarding this, it seems that Golite has simply stopped making the 'silk' version of their DriMove baselayers for 2010 and is now only making the 'lite' version. Strangely, you won't find this product in the 'baselayers' section of their site. It's under 'performance' and then 'trail running'. They no longer directly call it DriMove lite but rather it's the 'Wildwood Trail Shortsleeve Run Top' which you'll notice features 'DriMove Lite' technology.

The weight is listed at 91g for the shortsleeve top (3.2oz) or 98g (3.45oz) for the long sleeve version.

Strangely, they offer it in a short sleeve 1/4 zip version which is claimed to be lighter than the regular short sleeve top. They claim 76g (2.7oz) for this top but it seems hard to believe since it uses the same 80g/meter polyester. The regular top does have a tiny pocket but I still can't believe deleting this and adding a 1/4 zip would result in a weight savings.

Link: http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=105001110&mc=195&t=&lat=

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools