Topic

Adventure Med bivy vs Blizzard Bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Adventure Med bivy vs Blizzard Bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    David Stanhope

@stanhope2003

Locale: New England

Have narrowed down my winter emergency bivy to these three products. I'm trying to distinguish the differences between the three. Has anyone had any use with any of these. Trying to compare the three in terms of durability and warmth. Have not used any of them. Looks like positive reviews for all. Will use for single day ascents in case of emergency. No sleeping bag. Will use in a snow cave.

1. Adventure Medical Thermo-Lite 2.0 Bivy

http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/part_number=0140-0223/453.0.1.1

2. Blizzard Bag

http://www.blizzardsurvival.com/product.php/100/blizzard-survival-bag

3. MPI Extreme Pro Tech Emergency Bag/Or MPI Extreme Pro Tech Bag (Essentially look the same)

I appreciate the suggestion of the Blizzard Bag and MPI Bag from previous post. Just trying to narrow down the choices between the three now. Thank you.

Elena Lee
    BPL Member

@lenchik101

Locale: Pacific Northwest (USA)

Good luck! i wouldn't bet your life on using any of these "emergency" bivys in a hypothetical snow cave…

if you are really worried and absolutely must carry emergency gear …. just get a warmer parka and/or bring your regular bv/sleep bag instead. even better, don't go anywhere without being sure about the weather.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

As a standalone system I'd go with the blizzard bag. It has actual value. The Thermolite bivy will not too much in a snow cave besides keep you somewhat drier.

I know nothing about option 3.

Michael B

@mbenvenuto

Locale: Vermont

I have the adventure bivy, the older version. I think they are the same size. I have never really used it, but it certainly seems tough, and is just big enough to maybe handle two people (at least me and one of my kids). It is also big enough that I can get access to my boots from inside, which seems critical if it really was an emergency and had to tend to wounds or changes layers etc. That seems less critical if you really have the shelter of a snow cave (I don't think of digging a snow cave in the NE mountains as all that realistic, so it depends where you are).

I would like to get the blizzard bag. Except I would have the overwhelming urge to want to pull it out and try it, which then means it could never really be restuffed. If you want one thing, this would probably be the best single choice.

I am also attracted to the bothy bags and emergency ski shelters, particularly when not alone. With a snow cave you don't need that, but having instant emergency shelter for the group would be really nice, particularly above treeline or if there was an injury. I bring a poncho tarp that more or less serves this function now.

For inside a snow cave though, you might as well save the extra weight of the blizzard bag and use the lighter bivy instead, and carry more real insulation, like a down vest or pants.

So no real help here, sorry.

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

Bothy bags are my choice – I think the ID Guides Tarp works as a Sil-tarp, bivy for two (warmer) or bothy. With a parka and a foam pad might be all you need if you really need to spend a night out. None of the above options will be comfortable.

I was about to put this up but I have a ID Endurance bag cover that I was thinking of selling. Its actually quite large for its weight, seam taped, (10-13oz) and easily takes a large winter sleeping bag. Its made for these conditions and would probably fit two guys with layers. I was thinking 50 for it?
    Whats nice is that you can use it for summer camping as well as bring it in winter on the off chance that you might need shelter.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I've got a Blizzard Bag and a Bothy Bag.

The Blizzard Bag could save your life in an emergency. It offers waterproofing and insulation. Mine has never been opened, but i carry it on every winter day hike.

My Bothy Bag is a 4 man, and it gets used regularly when hiking with others. As i hike in mostly tree-less terrain, it can be the only way to escape the wind for a break. It warms up inside with shared body heat, and gives a psychological boost in nasty conditions. There isn't enough room to lie down in it, and wouldn't offer much insulation to a solo hiker.

I only carry them on day hikes.

David Stanhope

@stanhope2003

Locale: New England

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The MPI Bag was suggested on a previous thread. But there seems to be more ppl. that used/have heard of the Blizzard Bag. Just to note I wanted to add a bivy to my pack not to be irresponsible but to have in case of a true emergency. And not just for hiking but I believe it can serve many uses. I always check weather, routes, and stay w/in my comfort level and skill level etc. but I like to hope for the best and plan for the worst. Thank you all again for your input I appreciate it.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Do a good search of the Forum channels. I have a feeling that some of these options have been discussed recently, with some customers VERY unhappy about what they received. It wasn't what had been advertised.

Cheers

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

I've got an AMK Thermolite bivvy. I like it, and I especially like that it's re-usable, but it's not going to be warm enough on it's own. You'd have to take pants/parka/socks/gloves/hats to wear inside.

I think for winter emergencies, a pad of some kind is essential. The Thermolite will not insulate you from the floor of your snow cave.

HJ

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools