Topic

Silnylon VBL Sleeping Bag liner

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Silnylon VBL Sleeping Bag liner

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Royal Magnell

@blueman

Locale: Northern CA

I'm looking for a reasonably priced Silnylon VBL Sleeping Bag liner. Does anyone know where I might acquire one? I've seen the integral designs and the western mountaineering one, both which seem nice but are kinda expensive.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Does it have to be silnylon? AMK makes a heat sheets one for about $16, and the Thermolite 2 (heavier, but the inner fabric has a nicer feel) for $35.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

If I where you I'd look into VB clothing, not a sleeping bag liner. The reasoning is that you can wear insulating clothing over your VB clothing to keep you warmer in your sleeping bag.

If you where to use a VB bag liner then you could not wear any insulating clothing to bed as the liner would trap your body moisture and collapse the insulating clothing you where wearing.

Using sil-nylon is just fine for VB clothing or VB bag liners.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

You could wear the vbl up to your armpits and wear a down jacket on top. On bottom you could try synthetic pants inside the vbl and see if it is compromised with moisture.

Royal Magnell

@blueman

Locale: Northern CA

Yeah, I can see that VBL clothing would be a better option. I'm getting a feathered friends VBL bag liner for now, because while I'd prefer to have VBL clothing I don't have the money to spend on it right now.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I can't find the exact thread, but I do recall a BPL member talking about making VBL sleeping clothes out of garbage bags + duct tape. Another option might be one of those super cheap rain suits from Coleman or whomever. I bet those don't breath much. Bed Bath and Beyound sells emergency ponchoes for a dollar or two and they probably don't weigh 3oz.

Maybe not great for long term, but for experimenting with VBL, a cheap option.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

John Shannon wrote
    "You could wear the vbl up to your armpits and wear a down jacket on top. On bottom you could try synthetic pants inside the vbl and see if it is compromised with moisture."

Yes you could. Then again It may be nice to have a system that you could use for more than just sleeping or camping in those Texas winters. :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools