Topic

Best memory card to use with Canon Powershot S90

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Best memory card to use with Canon Powershot S90

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

What's the best balance of memory card type, write speed and storage size to get?

The camera is compatible with the following cards:

SD
    SDHC
    MultiMediaCards
    MMCplus memory cards
    HC MMCplus memory cards

(have been using a very basic p&s digital cam for the last 2 years that came with its memory card and wasn't worth upgrading in any way, so not up to date on best memory to get)

James Lee

@jleephoto

Locale: Triad

I like the Sandisk Ultra II plus because it neatly folds to revel a USB port. Any SD card should do though I've used Sandisk & Lexar for years, beat them up, and generally abused them and I've never had a failure. Class speed shouldn't be much of an issue unless you plan to shoot a lot of video, in which case I'd go with the faster speed (class 6) SDHC cards but make sure you have a compatible card reader.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I have a SanDisk Extreme SDHC. It's a 30 MB/s card. Probably not necessary for P&S but I got it to swap between the P&S and SLR.

Extreme SDHC

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Thanks James. Have had Sandisk Ultra memory with my simple p&s but without a usb connector, and Class 6 cards with my Xacti video cam. Are there Class 6 cards with usb connectors?

Also what's your best cheapest source? Newegg, Tiger, etc.?

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Chris, wow, class 10 already, I am behind the times…definitely what I'd get for an SLR.

Would be great to find a class 6 card with usb connector, although not that big a deal considering you can upload directly from the camera with a mini cable.

I've checked the manual front to back and there's no size limitation listed for the memory card, but my guess is it could be 8MB, as the manual only shows photo and video shooting stats for 2MB and 8MB cards. Anyone know what the memory limitation of the camera is?

James Lee

@jleephoto

Locale: Triad

I'm afraid I don't have a current source for the Ultra 2 Plus. It looks like Amazon has the 4GB versions for $30. I do like not having to carry a card reader and/or USB cord with me all the time but not sure whether its worth the trade off in price as the prices of SDHC cards are dropping fast. Newegg & Adorama Camera are usually good sources of media though.
    I have a Toshiba class 4 16GB SDHC card in my S90 right now without a problem so far (maybe 200 images). Not sure where I got this one (Sam's maybe?)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools