Topic

Waterproof zipper on bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Waterproof zipper on bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

I am trying to save some money. I am thinking about getting the Integral Designs Event Microbivy and adding a waterproof zipper to it. I will be using a small tarp so I will not need the full protection of the Integral Designs South Col with the wire hoop and full closure capability.

Is it better to just get the South Col that has the factory waterproof zipper because it is factory done and will be more durable? Where can I find a waterproof zipper? I have found “water restistant” zippers, but not waterproof. Are they the same thing?

Any feed back would be very helpful. I am new to sewing (no idea what I am doing) and would probably have someone who knows what they are doing help me. I am not sure what I am getting into here. that is why I posted.

Peter McDonough
    Spectator

@crazypete

Locale: Above the Divided Line

If you really think that the protection is necessary, especially since you are using a small tarp(you could position the bivy so that the zipper side is the one more sheltered by the tarp), here’s a link to one.

http://www.thru-hiker.com/MaterialDetail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MG126&subcat=Zipper

Jay Ham

@jham

Locale: Southwest

What is called waterproof zippers and those that are called water resistent are the same thing in my book. The “waterproof” zippers I have used leak over time, making them only water resistent at best.

Installing zippers is a bit more challanging than most simple sewing stitches and may not be a first choice of projects if you are new to sewing. Make sure your help has experience sewing zippers if you decide to do it.

Personally, I wouldn’t bother with the zipper if you will be using it with a tarp. As the previous post suggested, just make sure your bivy opening is well protected by the tarp. I used a similar Gore-Tex bivy with a 5 x 5 silnylon tarp for a while. The tarp was just big enough to cover my head and protect my gear and worked well enough.

Jay
    MYOG

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

Thank you both for taking the time to reply and giving opinions. I appreciate your thoughts and the feedback!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools