Topic

Making Foster’s Beer Can Sans Opener

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Making Foster’s Beer Can Sans Opener

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Antonio Abad

@tonyabad

Hey all,

I just wanted to share the technique that I used to make my own Foster’s Beer Can pot. I was hoping just to score the periphery until a nice circle popped out (as with the pepsi can stove), but 20 minutes of scoring with a utility knife didn’t do the trick. These were the steps I used:

Step #1: Scored the inside lip using a utility knife. 10 or so passes would probably do the trick.

Step #2: Drilled 5 1/8# holes in a circle around the top.

Step #3: Took apart the top using needlenose pliers. If you did a decent job of scoring, a fairly neat circle will result.

Step #4: Filed the hole smooth using a metal file.

This process isn’t anything special. In fact it’s pretty much the same technique Scott Henderson uses to make his Pepsi can stove. Thanks for the inspiration to shave some more ounces for very little money. The beer wasn’t bad either. ;-)

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Good to know… for some cans that can’t be opened any other way… but why not just use a side cut openner? Roslie, Good Cook and Cuisipro all make openers that work.

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

David, my reason for doing it the way the original poster described was simple – I still wanted the lip on the top. It adds a lot of rigidity. Just to clarify, I (and I think the original poster) cut out the inside recessed top of the can, not around the top like the side-cut can openers.

Ben

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Sidecut openers keep the lip on the can… at least about 90% of it anyway.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

I agree with David…the Good Cook can opener, ubiquitous in it’s retail availability, leaves the rim pretty much in tact…and takes about 4 seconds to use. Also, a very good can opener for home use too.

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

I hadn’t realized that – I was basing my assumptions on the illustrations on the canpot page at zenstoves.net. I’ll have to grab me one of these magical can openers… /:-|

Ben

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

They’re worth it! I found a generic one at my local supermarket for $8. This weekend, I made played around with it: http://www.freewebs.com/jasonklass/myexperimentsadventures.htm

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools