Topic

Need Pattern similar to R1 Hoody

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Need Pattern similar to R1 Hoody

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

I'd like to make something like the R1 Hoody for my kids. Maybe not the offset zipper if that's too hard. Definitely a 3 panel hood, long sleeves with thumbloops, and a long hem. I would probably use midweight Polartec Powerdry wool blend.

I would probably make one for myself too, but I have many mid layers already. My kids don't, and there isn't much available for kids except for cheap $10 Old Navy fleece and some very high dollar semi-custom items.

Kids also grow very fast, so it seems if I keep making bigger sizes of the same pattern it will get easier each time.

The pattern I'm leaning towards is The Green Pepper #510 Kid's Hooded Pullover. It doesn't have raglan sleeves, but that would probably make assembly easier. http://www.thegreenpepper.com/downloads/510web.pdf

Chris Collins

@hobbitling

Looks like a good pattern. and it's versatile. three different options. You could probably turn it into a full zip pretty easily by just splitting that bottom front panel. and a sleeve or chest pocket would be easy to add for some style. But it is a childs pattern, so don't expect to able to make one for you.
    You might like Mccalls # 2793 or 3367. 2793 also includes a pattern for snow pants or bibs.
    I'm in the process of making a similar jacket. I'm using Mcalls pattern # 5991. but that's an adult pattern. it's been very educational. The pattern I got was very large. Hoodie and fleece patterns tend not to be athletic cut.

I'd recommend trying it out on some cheapo fabric first, till you get the fit right. I'm glad I did. Plus You can use the prototype as a more durable pattern and save the paper one from abuse. those patterns aren't made to last.

Where you getting the fabric?

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Green Pepper has the same items in both adult and child sizes, so I would start with the kids and order adult for myself if I decided to go that way. They also have full-zip models. I have a bunch of sheets of heavy drafting mylar to transfer patterns to.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Fabric will be from Mill Direct Textiles, which buys up overstocks (and regular stock) from Polartec (ex. Malden Mills).

The fabrics I'm looking at are all about 11-12 ounces/yard2 (per phone call with Chris at Mill Direct).

-Polartec Powerdry midweight poly/wool blend (inner poly, outer 1/2 & 1/2.) (very stretchy- 100%) $6/yd
    -Polartec Power Stretch Poly (very stretchy- 100%) $8/yd
    -Polartec Power Stretch nylon/poly (Stretchy- 60% with more durable outer) $8/yd

I think I'll go with the Powerdry wool blend and make these fitted as a base or base+ layer.

A couple other fabrics that look good:
    -Polartec Powerdry X-static $6 (low x-static content, thin, 6 ounce weight) May be good for true base layer or summer base layer. I have a couple shirts that are probably this same fabric and the X-static content helps with odor but isn't enough to make them stink-free.
    -Polartec Wind Pro Hardface $15 about 12 ounce weight(Almost as stretchy as Power Stretch per Sandy at Mill Direct. Also has hard outer and DWR) This fabric looks like it would make a very good garment, but might be hard to cool off. It's also twice the price which removes it from consideration for my first garment project.

By the way, per Chris, Mill Direct's swatch pack includes all their fabrics from that category. The website doesn't make it clear that it has every color, every fabric. The "Specials" swatch pack currently has over 100 swatches.

Chris Collins

@hobbitling

geez, you could practically make the jacket out of swatches.

also check out rose city textiles. lots of good fleeces, although the details on some of them are a bit…mysterious. they get discontinued or overstocked fabrics, but aren't really allowed to reveal the exact origin or name brand on some of them. best to ask for swatches.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools