Topic

Nike Dri-FIT as a Baselayer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Nike Dri-FIT as a Baselayer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

Does anyone use Nike Dri-FIT as a baselayer for backpacking?

I use Dri-FIT stuff mainly for the gym/running, but one thing I've noticed is that for 100% polyester, the stench isn't so bad. Granted when I do a hard workout, it will smell. But it will smell like… sweat; there's none of that sweet, "overripe fruit" smell that I get with Capiline or similar garments.

I wonder if this has something to do with the finish? For example, Dri-FIT shirts have a shiny, satin-like finish, where Capiline will have a dull, fabric-like finish.

Both Dri-FIT and Capiline are 100% polyester essentially, but my experiences with them are vastly different.

Wonder why…

Peter Sustr
    BPL Member

@czechxpress

Locale: Boulder

I have used these as base layers and they work just fine. The do start to stink pretty good after about day 2 but, who doesn't.

My experience is only in the summer but, I'm sure winter conditions should be the same.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

i sure do use it for my baselayer. in fact i had a long sleeve dry fit underneath my merino wool sweater today while hiking the pinnacle area of pa. it was gorgeous out!

the following is probably considered heresy here, but oh well, it's my experience:
    i personally think wool is best served as a 2nd baselayer, and that polyester dries fast and does a better job with wicking. i have an icebreaker baselayer that usually ends up staying home in place of the nike. if it's supercold i may put the icebreaker on overtop of the nike. regardless, poly is what i prefer to use. the only edge wool gets is in the stink factor. it way outperforms poly in this category. a trick to keep the stink at bay.

the nike stuff also is way more durable, can be washed and dried with normal laundry without the butthole puckering feeling you get when you realize you just permanent pressed your $60 smartwool NTS.

pick them up for under $15 at tjmax or marshalls!

adam peterson

@pacbacker

Locale: The Pacfic Northwest

i use them all time i like the long sleve ones, they are very light and dry guickly. the best part is that they are very inexpensive and that never hurts

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

I use the Dri Fit shorts most of the time, for hiking and running. They're light, dry quick and the slightly shiny finish means they don't bind under other layers. I would prefer to wear merino shorts for the better odour control and sustainability of the fabric but merino thin enough to keep me cool in summer (150 weight) just isn't durable enough and loses it's shape too easily.

In summer I usually wear Nike running shorts that have Dri Fit liners. They do stink after a couple of days but the smell can be controlled with daily rinses in mountain lakes/rivers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools