Topic

REI Arete ASL 2 thoughts?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking REI Arete ASL 2 thoughts?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

Hello,

I recently started the thread asking about floorless shelter technique, as the Golite pyramid shelters on sale at REI offered an affordable entry into winter camping for me.
    After that helpful discussion, I decided to look at more traditional 4 season tents for comparison, and have only really come up with one option that I'd consider affordable; the REI Arete ASL 2.
    So I'm back, looking for more advice, impatiently waiting for snow.

Thanks

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I took a look at the ARETE online. Seems to be a good winter tent with the 3rd crossing pole in front making the structure very stable in the manner TNF's Tadpole does. This is important B/C winter winds rip longer and stronger than summer winds.

The vestibule looks large enough to cook in IF you can dig out a place for your legs in deeper snow and place the stove to your left on a snow platfom.

Personally I'm waiting for the TarpTent Scarp 2 winter fly (lower fly) version to come out but that may not be until spring.

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

Thanks, I went for it while on sale for less than $200, and I'll give it a try soon.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

How did the ASL Arête work out for you? I'm looking at getting on with the fall REI coupon.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools