Topic

Staying in shape on long hikes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Staying in shape on long hikes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Yes, backpacking is exercise but…. I've heard PCT hikers lament how wasted they get especially their upper bodies. A week into a 4-5 week walk I'm already feeling this. Ski season is just around the corner. I ran yesterday and did some agility drills. Very sluggish. After walking all day, I tend to be unmotivated to do any maintenance conditioning. Even stretch. Had to do some scrambling and use some fixed ropes a couple times — felt so good after just walking.

Directed at winter athletes, triathletes, etc. Do you supplement your walking with on trail conditioning of some sort?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

One could easily do midday exercise for the upper body by carrying a theraband (very light weight) or even using their gear, along with body weight exercises (push ups, etc).

Mark Stalbird

@off-road

My arms actually get a pretty good work-out by simple trekking poles,i never put them down while hiking/backpacking.
    The motion resembles that of X country skiing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools