Topic

Suggestions needed for quilt fasteners

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Suggestions needed for quilt fasteners

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    David Patterson
    BPL Member

@davidp80

Hows it going guys,

I just finished constructing my ray-way quilt, and decided that I’d like to add a couple of fasteners so as to create the possibility of securing the quilt either around my body or around my pad.
    My first thought was that elastic would be the lightest option, but would also be less versatile. Another option would be to use buckle straps as seen on some of the Nunatak quilt models. And then there’s drawcords….shock cords….theres really a lot out there that could potentially work. I’m really not knowledgeble about construction materials, and see lots of options on http://www.questoutfitters.com, so does anyone have any reccomendations on specific materials to use? I’m most interested in getting a tight fit for my chest and upper thigh area, so two fasteners would probably do the trick. At this point, I’m leaning a bit more towards two elastic bands of some sort, so I’m most interested in whether you guys think this would work. If it was too warm, I was thinking thatI could always undo the chest strap, and their flexibility would allow me to move around in my quilt fairly easily (I’m a side, back, front, crooked etc. kind of sleeper). Much thanks in advance,

-Dave:)

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

Did you make the Deluxe version of the quilt? If so, just tucking the draftstoppers underneath you should work fine; that’s what I do. Check around on the Ray-Way site; he might mention some alternatives there. In Beyond Backpacking (p. 92) he suggests putting Velcro on the outside edge of the quilt and just in a bit from the edge of the pad. You might want to use the same kind of hook&loop that Jacks R Better uses; it’s easier on the fabric and other gear.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

simple is good.
    Imagine a plastic 3-hole cord holder with velcro on the end mating to duck-lips of matching velcro. The ducklips keep the velcro covered so it doesn’t scratch you. The 3-hole cord holder is easily adjustable and will hold 1/2″ elastic – a good size for this. I use this rig on all my quilts.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Vick,

Can you please post of picture of what you use.

Thanks

David Patterson
    BPL Member

@davidp80

Doug,

I opted to go with the standard quilt model, without the draft stopper. When lying on my back, theres really no need for it, but I tend to toss around quite a bit…and when lying on my side, there’s just enough of a gap that a solid breeze could easily blow through. I was also hoping to stay away from velcro, for reasons you mentioned in addition to the noise factor. I’m going to take a look at the Jacks R Better website to see how they’re going about it.

Vick, I would also be interested in seeing some pictures, if you have the time. It sounds like a solid way of solving the problem. Thanks guys,

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Richard,
    Here’s the best under-fastener I’ve been able to come up with. This shows the fastener with folded and tapered hook velcro stitched to a piece of milk carton plastic. The waist-band drawstring elastic cord threads through 3 holes to provide adjustable tension. the elastic cord attaches permanently to the other side of the quilt. You can see the “duck lips” of loop velcro at the lower left. To attach the tensioner securely, just sandwich the hook velcro of the tensioner between the duck lips.
    Image hosting by Photobucket

Here’s a close-up of the tensioner with its velcro. As you can see, it is only about 3″ long including 1.5 inches of velcro.
    Image hosting by Photobucket

The sandwich of duck lips keeps the scratchy velcro encapsulated. And this is a VERY secure closure.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Vick,

It appears to me that you have a very good solution. The pictures help alot to better understand your solution. Where did you purchase your 3 hole fasteners? How do you attach the other end of the cord to your quilt?

Thanks,
    Richard

David Patterson
    BPL Member

@davidp80

Vick,

Hmm….that does look like an interesting solution. From reading the other quilt posts, am I correct to say that this is your only fastener on the quilt. Where on the quilt is the fastener located?

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

— Where did you purchase your 3 hole fasteners? —

Made them from milk jug plastic with scissors and a turret hole punch. You can sew velcro or anything else directly to the plastic – but use wide stitches.

— How is the other end attached? —
    The fixed end of the cord is bar stitched to grossgrain ribbon which is then stitched to the hem of the quilt. The ribbon distributes the pull. The grossgrain attachment is on the right hand side of the upper photo.

— Where is the under-strap located on the quilt? —
    About where my elbows are. That is where I am most likely to poke the quilt out from under the sleeping pad. However, don’t get the impression that one strap is the only way to go. It is lighter and more convenient than multiple straps, but for lots of subfreezing weather, I prefer 2 and make the closed foot section almost knee high. Then, I put one fastener above mid thigh and another just above the elbows. Works OK.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Vick,

Thanks for sharing your quilt fastener solution with us.

Richard

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools