Topic

Resealable beer can stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Resealable beer can stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

I had an idea for a beer can alcohol stove that can be closed and sealed without removing the alcohol. Then I researched these types of stoves and didn’t think my idea would work. I didn’t think I would get enough thermal feedback to keep the alcohol boiling.

I tried it anyway, and it works. This was my first attempt and it needs a lot of work. I have a plan for reinforcing the top so it won’t need a pot support. And a few tuning ideas. However, I thought I’d post the idea here anyway. Someone else might want to try making one too.

So, here it is:

Beer can stove on uTube

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

This guy has done a fair amount of research on stoves that don't waste alcohol: link

How much water was in your pot and what was the starting temperature?

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

There was 2 cups of water and it was about 65 degrees at the start (tap water).

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

That's 635 Watts into the pot. Not bad!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I can see a problem with that…
    Franco

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

"That's 635 Watts into the pot. Not bad!"

Thanks.

"I can see a problem with that…"

What? This is not only my first attempt at making one, it is the first time I've ever used one.

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

I can think of two problems that Franco might be alluding to (don't be so cryptic, Franco…)

i) the outer can is pretty beat up (as you fellows say) after the firing; aluminium cans don't react well to being in direct flames

ii) 'just blow it out' suggests that it may be very susceptible to winds. However, since it clearly needs a pan support of some kind, I'm not sure that matters too much; that can take the form of a windshield.

I make it 452W into the pan (2*237*4.2*(5/9)*(212-65)/6*60). Whatever; 6 minutes for a 2-cup boil is respectable.

Of course, we'll need to know how much fuel you used; that priming phase could be used constructively, to heat the pan, perhaps?

You do realise that you are now doomed to spend the rest of your life playing with meths stoves…?

;-)

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Thanks for the reply. This is my first attempt, so I’m looking for all the constructive criticism I can get. :-)

“(i) the outer can is pretty beat up (as you fellows say) after the firing; aluminum cans don't react well to being in direct flames”

This is my biggest concern. I had run the stove 4 times, three with the pot of water on top of the stove (no pot support). It was collapsing, hence the support in the video. I have some ideas to hopefully address this issue, but I’m still concerned that the aluminum will just burn away. I guess that’s why we test. ;-)

“ii) 'just blow it out' suggests that it may be very susceptible to winds. However, since it clearly needs a pan support of some kind, I'm not sure that matters too much; that can take the form of a windshield.”

It took a couple of tries to blow it out. And, the intent is to keep the opening on the lee side, away from the wind.

“I make it 452W into the pan (2*237*4.2*(5/9)*(212-65)/6*60). Whatever; 6 minutes for a 2-cup boil is respectable.”

Thanks. That was one of the most important questions I had. I’m thinking I can cut some time off that, but at least I know I’m somewhere in the ball park.

“Of course, we'll need to know how much fuel you used; that priming phase could be used constructively, to heat the pan, perhaps?”

Yup, when it’s closer to a real working model I plan to time it that way also.

“You do realize that you are now doomed to spend the rest of your life playing with meths stoves…? ;-)”

Nooooooooooooo…

Thanks again. :-)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Sorry. I wasn't trying to be cryptic, I wanted to see if others spotted that.
    Had the same problem with some of my stoves (melting…) and we don't have the thicker aluminium bottles here. Apparently one of the local beer manufacturers is now using them but I don't want to spend another couple of sleepless weeks* tyring to make the ideal design.
    "You do realize that you are now doomed to spend the rest of your life playing with meths stoves…? ;-)”
    he is not kidding..
    (possibly something to do with playing with fire)
    Franco
    Just as you are about to fall asleep another idea pops into your head, try to sleep after that.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

"Just as you are about to fall asleep another idea pops into your head, try to sleep after that."

Even worse, and i have sadly experienced this, is thinking of that next great idea during sex, have fun finishing after that.

-Tim

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

I'm doomed…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools