Topic

DWR chemical composition?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear DWR chemical composition?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I had a few garments that needed some help with DWR and I got a Nikwax pack of Tech Wash and the TX Direct wash-in DWR treatment. The TX Direct looked and smelled like PVA– polyvinyl acetate, AKA Elmer’s Glue or drywall sealer.

Could it be possible that it is PVA? I am NOT recommending that someone go out and dump their $300 XYZ ultralight panties in dilute Elmer’s glue, but the prospect is interesting.

Dilute PVA drywall sealer might be a better place to start– at your own risk. I would try some scrap cloth first.

Does anyone know what kind of stuff is used for DWR? Inquiring trail stompers want to know!

Andy Ledbetter

@dronfield

I use a silicon(e) based wood preserver for treating external woodwork. It appears to be very similar to the Nikwax spray on product. Water droplets falling onto the treated wood form into large beads which easily run of the surface.

My personal observation only. I would not try using it to replace a tried and trusted product

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Hey!!!
    Guys trying stuff out is how we learn stuff. You first. I’ll hold your beer.

Seriously, can you give brand names? It’s worth a try.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools