Topic

Does anyone ORIKASO?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Does anyone ORIKASO?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Julia O’Day

@arweninnj

Orikaso is plastic sheets that fold to make cups, bowls, etc. It weighs next to nothing and folds flat for packing. I saw this product mentioned on a budget travel website. It looks perfect for lightweight backpacking, and I wondered if anyone here has any experience with it. http://www.orikaso.com/index.html

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I don’t have much experience yet but I went on a week long trip with a guide who had the Orikaso bowl. He didn’t have to say a thing. I watch him use it and I was sold. I did ask him later about it and you could tell it was one of his prized pieces of gear. What impressed me was the clean up. I was swishing water around my titanium cup trying to dislodge the oatmeal so I could drink it. He just unfolded the bowl and licked it clean. No watery leftovers to drink. I have thought of numerous other uses for it as well, so the 32 g (1.1 oz) is well worth it to me. I bought four, one for every member of the family. My kids have used then at scout outings. I asked them about the bowls and they said they were great, and little else. High praise I suppose? :)

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Haven’t had much opportunity to use it. I have enjoyed all the pieces I’ve used, however.

Jim Busick

@earthroamer

I’m a definite Orkaso convert. I’ve used them since last spring. I bought 2 full sets but only use the plates, the cup is too small for me and I can make a bowl out of the plate so don’t need the bowl. I mostly boil water/freezer-bag my meals so just use the plate to hold my bag but did take them on a week-long llama trip last summer where 3 of us cooked fresh food every meal and used the plates to prepare food.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

I have 2 bowls and the cup. I like them because they take up no space and are multi-use.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I have the dish, I love it !
    Pack frame(helps to keep sharp objects away from my back)/tray/funnell/fly swatter/fan/chopping tray/plate and ….bowl
    Franco

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Both me, my man and our kid have a dish..I love them! I bought them right when they came out, and as mentioned above, in summer they make a great cozy for freezer bags, and in winter I still leave my freezer bag in the dish and use it to hold the bag upright.
    Convience aside, when I actually cooked on the trail I used to carry Lexan bowls..and the O. dish cleans up so easily compared to everything else-and I love how they fold flat and bam, in the pack :-D

Michael Bradley

@themadmilkman

My favorite thing about my Orikaso plate (I have the bowl and cup as well, in case I ever want them) is that it takes up no room in my pack. I’m 6’5″ tall, so everything ends up being bigger and eating up more space. Having something that just slides in and out while almost weighing nothing makes it more than worthwhile for me.

(edited for spelling)

Julia O’Day

@arweninnj

Thanks for all the feedback! Looks like I will have to add Orikaso to my “to get” list! It sounds like I don’t need to get all the pieces, though-just the plate or bowl would do it. Thanks again!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

There are some field reviews at backpackgeartest.org. Not everyone was thrilled …
    When hot the plates are soft and can wobble. The cup leaks strangely. Sigh.

Leslie Ponden

@lponden

I’m a lightweight packer who weighs everthing with a scale that registers down to one-tenth of an ounce. I bought the Orikaso bowl and cup, and was surprised to find that both weigh much more than a lightweight plastic storage container that serves as both cup and bowl. If you’re an “ultralighter,” these products will disappoint.

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

their website shows some interesting multi-use ideas – like using it to make coffee. when i drink coffee, i use the single serve pouches. if i want some weirdo coffee (ie, not maxwell house) then i’m stuck.

until recently i have been eating out of my Walmart pot, but now i’m using a Gladware bowl – with the lid, weighs less than an ounce and it’s perfect for pudding. no more ziploc bag mess.

i doubt this would work well for the pudding or anything else that needed mixed – the seams wouldn’t allow everything to be mixed in.

just some thoughts

(edited for grammar)
    -Steve

Chrsitina Barlow

@barlowmtns

They are nearly indestructible yet light weight and easy to carry in your pack. Especially when you need something that is flexible to fit in those tight fitting areas around all your gear in your pack. I enjoyed a nice cup of cocoa at night on the trail with the cup. The items were all real easy to wipe clean with the nonstick platic. Below is a link to a set that comes with a spork.

http://www.mountaingearnow.com/home.php?type=product&id=91812

I hope this helps.

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

I have seen newer releases of this without the snaps. I prefer the snaps which makes my bowl very versitile. If I were to look at these for the first time with just the creased, snap-less version, I would have second thoughts.

Scott Ashdown

@waterloggedwellies

Locale: United Kingdom

I have the Orikaso plate and yeah sure it will convert into a bowl or do the coffee filter paper thing but I have to say the versatility of the product is probably a little over stated. I’m surprised it’s not sold as being TWO chopping boards in one, ie one on one side and one on the other!!!

The bowl and chopping board are probably the most useful to me. Converting it into a plate I feel like there should have been a few more studs so that it would make a proper plate (i.e. with four sides) as opposed to the closed on three and open flat on the fourth. If you want to eat a dinner on a plate that might “Run” i.e. sauces, gravy etc then this wont work as well as maybe you think it might.

Maybe they could print outdoor tips, recipes, first aid stuff etc on one side of the bowl and turn it into a magazine as well. That might be more useful than the plate!!!

You might have guess i’m not a big user.

Scott

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Note to file: there are TWO different models – the Picnic set which has the snap fasteners, and the Solo set with the fold-over tabs.

Both sets are reviewed at Backpackinglight.com

I’ve seen the individual pieces of the solo set at REI. They no longer carry the Picnic version. Perhaps it has been discontinued?

Sebastian Ventris

@sabme

Locale: SW UK

I have some Orikaso Bowls which I like but the bottom cut off and old Platypus reservoir is much lighter & more packable.

Scott Ashdown

@waterloggedwellies

Locale: United Kingdom

Cool idea for using an old Platy. I’ll have to give that a go.

David Patterson
    BPL Member

@davidp80

Make a quick trip to your local PetCo (or any other large pet store) and pick up a $4.99 bag of ‘Nibblers’ rabbit treats in a resealable bag. Discard the treats (or send them to me), wash out the bag, and…..there ya go, a perfect bowl/cup that acts as its own cozy, washes easily (due to being able to shake the sealed bag after adding soap and water), weighs next to nothing, and will pack or wrap around anything in your pack. Since I have two rabbits here at home, it was the natural choice. It’s more or less a cut off platypus that costs less, still sits on its own, and doubles as a cozy for cooking. I’d love to find someone else using one of these on the trail one day :P

Thanks,

-Dave:)

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

The cut-off platypus also works for getting water at ‘dipper’ springs and makes a pretty good folding drinking cup, too.

david rodriguez

@dar_crowe

does anyone know where I can still get one of the original snap-type plates?

Kevin Lutz

@eazye

As late as a month ago they had them at mountain gear in Portland. http://www.e-omc.com , though they might not be on their website. You might have to call.

I love my snap plate. I also own a fold bowl, and while it works great, I have this irrational fear that it is going to open up anytime I pour hot water into it.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

sssh… it's a secret

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

A newer company, Fozzils, sells a similar type all done with snaps. Their home office is in Seattle. Take a look online at them.

(Disclaimer: I loved them so much I started carrying them on the FBC website).

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

"A newer company, Fozzils, sells a similar type all done with snaps. Their home office is in Seattle. Take a look online at them.

(Disclaimer: I loved them so much I started carrying them on the FBC website)."

I'm not sure Sarah noticed, but Fozzil is who I linked to. :D

(Disclaimer: I actually learned about Fozzil from Sarah's FBC Blog

PS – They make a spoon. ;)
    PPS – Oh, and I'd highly recommend purchasing said items from said FBC-Diva

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools