Topic

BPL Tenkara Hane Fly Rod Info

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support BPL.com News and Info BPL Tenkara Hane Fly Rod Info

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies
    Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

Tenkara USA rods have a lifetime guarantee against breakage. Does the Hane have the same warranty?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

No lifetime warranty on these. Because this is a one time production run, there will be no replacement rods available to honor the warranty, so offering one would be sort of a joke!

We'll have a handful of spare tip sections available to repair broken tip rods until they run out, no charge.

Andy Waters

@dirtyhiker

Locale: NC mountains

ooooh.. deal breaker!! bummer man, I had it all worked out!

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

I not sure where this is going to be priced at but realistically most Tenkara rods are not that expensive (e.g. <$150). We are certainly not talking about a $700 fly rod. Rod warranties are a double edged sword, the consumer will ultimately end up paying for it in higher rod prices. Also consider what's most likely to go wrong with the rod – a broken tip… which BPL says it will replace for free while quantities last. When they run out, most likely they'll have a new and better version that we'll purchase anyway.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I'm with Brian on this – the lack of a lifetime warrantee is not a big deal. I've been fishing Tenkara USA's rod since early summer, and while they are light and sensitive, they are also quite sturdy, as long as you don't use them for toasting marshmallows or swatting snakes!

Careless handling on the part of the angler (that's us!) or using too heavy a leader is really the only dangers. Just use the rod as it's intended to be used, and I doubt you'll have any problems!

Seriously, this is ULB – we should already know how to take care of light gear!

Andy Waters

@dirtyhiker

Locale: NC mountains

guess youve never tripped and fell huh??

ps i'm still gonna get one too!! I'm just gonna cry like a baby if it dies!!! :)

David Ure

@familyguy

In this day and age, spending so much on an UL Rod should have a decent warranty. You slip and fall and break, well that is your own fault of course. But everthing else should be covered.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

David, if the rod proves to be popular enough to include it as a recurring product, then we'll be able to be more aggressive about warranty replacements. Until then, we'll do refunds for craftsmanship defects as needed, but as per the same as our fabric warranty policy, we can't offer a warranty on the carbon fiber material. To offer an unconditional warranty is nigh impossible with such a small production run of one-time goods. That said, I'm going to keep a very small number of rods out of this lot on hand for warranty replacements.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Just an FYI, Tenkara has only a 2% rate of breakage on their rods thusfar. Those are pretty good odds in my opinion.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

"guess you've never tripped and fell huh??"

You should have seen the contortions I went thru to keep the rod above me! Cost several thousand in back surgery, but that rod was fine!!!!!

"ps i'm still gonna get one too!! I'm just gonna cry like a baby if it dies!!! :)"

I'm gonna cry when that 18" brown snaps my 6x tippet like it wasn't there!!!! ;)

Hey, they're up!!

Andrew King

@drewboy

Locale: Arizona

Yes they're up! Just got my order in. Am looking forward to trying this little beauty out.

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

"You slip and fall and break, well that is your own fault of course. But everthing else should be covered."

I think it would be pretty tough for BPL to differentiate between snapping the rod off on a 20" cutthroat versus someone who "slipped and fell" on the rod. I'd like to think everyone who purchases rods are honest, but likely some will not be…

I guess I'm just concerned that warranty abuse to a small company like BPL is ultimately harmful to the company and consumer – neither of which I like.

David Ure

@familyguy

Fair enough. I guess I am just used to warranty programs enforced from other cottage producers.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

David, your expectations are reasonable. Unfortunately, gear production, retail, manufacturing – these are not our primary business activity (which is publishing) and providing an EXCEPTIONAL editorial experience for your subscription dollar is quite a bit more important to me, and to our subscribers, which have sounded that off loud and clear in our past two reader surveys.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I ordered mine, and I'm not even a fly fishing aficionado on the trail. The thought of carrying all that gear never appealed to me, but this type of fishing sure does. I've been oblivious to the Tenkara system until it came up here on BPL… and I can still stay SUL, too.

Luke Ochsenbein

@lukeochsen

Locale: Ozarks

It seems that a tapered leader is not required for this style of fishing. Just tie the tippet directly to the fly line. Am I correct?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Hey Luke, actually, what is missing from the Tenkara system is the conventional "line". The braided "line" that is tied to the end of the rod is more akin to what is called a "leader" in conventional fly fishing, and may or may not be tapered. But, this is the piece (it's braided mono) that provides the energy transfer to deliver your fly to the water.

So the typical Tenkara setup is:

10'6" braided leader (called the "Tenkara Line")
    + some length of 5x-8x tippet (e.g., 2' to however long you can handle)

RJ

Luke Ochsenbein

@lukeochsen

Locale: Ozarks

Thanks for the clarification.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

NOTE:

The original shipping date for those who prepurchased the Tenkara Hane fly rod, as communicated on the Hane page, was to be December 8.

I'm sorry to have to report that we miscalculated slightly and have to change the ship date.

The new ship date will be December 4.

Merry Christmas.

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

It's really annoying how poor BPL is on their shipping dates. You'd think after this many years in business they'd get a little better at predicting these things. :)

Just got my shipping notice. I can't wait!

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Ok. I just got the email to the effect that my new Hane has shipped. Seeing as how I've never fly fished before I hope that you all are ready for the avalanche of questions I'm about to generate… :o)

D@mn, it's nice to be back in the U.S., and in Colorado to boot!

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Dean-

I'll have to live vicariously through you until I get a chance to buy a rod next year….so let loose the avalanche!

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Just an FYI. Fly lines went out today to Hane customers via USPS First Class Mail, and Letter Post for International Customers.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Excellent! Thanks for the heads-up, Ryan!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools