Topic

Buying a tenkara rod, need advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Buying a tenkara rod, need advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Justin Marney
    BPL Member

@gotascii

Locale: Shenandoah

@melody fwiw, I had no experience fishing and picked up fly fishing last year. Since then I have caught many fish and had a great time combining backpacking with fly fishing. There was a LOT to learn, but I am the kind of person who enjoys that sort of thing. I have been told that learning to fly fish first actually makes it easier because the technique you use to cast a spinning rod is pretty much entirely opposite of the way you cast a fly rod. No bad habits to break :)

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

Wow, the Hane sold out fast. I got online this morning to order mine and they were already sold out. I hope they do decide to make another batch.

-Sid

Jack Newton

@figster

Locale: Central Arkansas

It is amazing and discouraging.

So much for the christmas wish list!

Jack

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

yeah the page says they sold out in 20 hours. but it also says if there's a significant stock alert sign up showing demand, there'll be a second run. better pony up for a membership though – members got the early warning and it looks like they snatched up all of them.

Jack Newton

@figster

Locale: Central Arkansas

Why would stock alerts impress need? It hasn't worked in the past – so much so that most don't even sign up for them – so much so that even BPL has noted its futility in past posts or articles.

Jack

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Just when I thought I had found my Christmas present.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Jack – we're going to make some significant store strategy changes in 2010. Stock alerts are going to be a critical component of that strategy. We actually do pay attention to them, and they are going to be a really important driver of what we elect to stock in 2010. We're going to do a major cleanse of products for which there isn't a demand. My advice: go through now and grab what you want while you can, because I think we're going to start seeing a very different store by years' end…

Richard Haaser
    Spectator

@bonasus

I received my Hane this am for Christmas. Is there a technique for getting the final section of rod to come out? It all un-telescopes except for that final section for attaching the line and I do not want to force it and break it in the process. Thanks for any insight you can offer.

John Z
    BPL Member

@feather

Richard, the Opening Rod section (about 3/4 down the page) at http://www.tenkarausa.com/about.php might be helpful.

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

So has BPL decided whether or not to do another production run of the Hane for those of us who missed our chance last time?

-Sid

Richard Haaser
    Spectator

@bonasus

Thanks John Z.

Richard Haaser
    Spectator

@bonasus

Nevermind. Using some gentle tapping followed by very narrow tweezers I was able to grasp the end and wiggle it out.

Dennis Hiorns

@hanson

Locale: Michigan

As I read this post, there were two questions that were asked but not answered:

"I notice he says there will be extra tips available for breakages. I wonder what they cost." …and do we get them through BPL or Tenkara? I'm not confident that I can use this with my kids and not need to replace the tip.

"Does this (reinforced outer tube) mean that the Hane has a stronger outer tube than the other tenkaras? Do you need a rod case to protect the iwana?"

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools