Topic

Caldera Cone Question.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Caldera Cone Question.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

So, I am thinking about gettinf the firelite 550 caldera cone with the 550 SUL cup, wich has no handles. So how do you get the pot out of the cone with no handles? Or should i just get the version with the handles?

thanks!

-Jace

Jeff Antig

@antig

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Pot lifter? FWIW, I can't even get the pot out of the cone WITH handles. I would have to hold the cone down with something like a tent stake.

David Neumann
    BPL Member

@idahomtman

Locale: Southern Oregon Coast

The handles will get too hot to grasp without some kind of pot holder or pot lifter. But the handles do make it a little easier to remove the pot but you will still need some way of holding the cone while you lift the pot.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Hey Jace. The idea behind getting a pot without handles, is to save weight. That being said, It would defeat the purpose if you also brought along a pot lifter (which probably weighs more than titanium handles anyways). The idea is to use multi-use items. So if you were to get the caldera setup with the 550 without handles, you'll likely have to use a sock or glove to lift the pot, in combination with a tent stake to hold the cone down.

So get what you like the best. If all the gear in you pack is barebones and you're a dedicated gram weenie, go for the handle-less one. If you just want lighter gear in general, a caldera setup will already save you weight, and the extra .5 oz of handles will not burden you. Its a fine line between comfort, convenience, and weight savings, and sometimes it can be difficult to navigate. I sometimes get caught up a lil too much in gram counting to the point where im just doing something for bragging rights. haha I once took the lightest toothbrush I can find, cut the handle down, and drilled holes throughout the remainder of the handle…by the end of it all, i realized how ridiculous the whole thing was. But hey, its all in the fun of being a member of the bpl community, so enjoy!

*regarding the comment above about handles getting too hard to grasp. I feel this is subjective. It also depends on what kind of pot you are using. If i were to use an aluminum mug, with say, a fairly thick aluminum handle (think IMUSA mug), then yes, it is wayyy too hot to comfortably grab without some form of protection. But for titanium wire handles, as seen on snowpeaks or MSR titan kettles, I find the handles comfortable to grab so long as I'm grabbing the top portion of the handles. A rock climber probably would have no problem grabbing any portion of the handle due to their calloused hands. To each their own

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"you will still need some way of holding the cone while you lift the pot."

I simply put my finger tip/nail on one of the cutouts at the top of the cone and lift my pot out with my other (usually possum-down gloved) hand (I have handles on my pot). Works without issue.

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

Pot handles and lifters have one thing in common, they're both only good for one thing. I say, don't get either one. If you have a multi-tool like a Leatherman, use that. If not, I suggest one of those tiny folding pliers. They will do the job and are useful for oh so many other things that a pot lifter or pot handle are not.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

I'd go with handles. There are some conveniences that add extra weight, but are worth the added weight, and IMO pot handles are a nicety worth having. If you like a hot drink during or after your meals, consider going with a larger mug as you can do a single boil and have 12oz for your meal and another 10-12oz for Coffee, Tea, or Hot Chocolate.
    I have a MLD 850ml Mug with handles and it works well for this purpose. If you really want a mug without handles then I'd consider going with a Beer can pot, where you can add the silicone bands to the pot for gripping and the beer cans stick higher out of the C.Cones, so they're easier to grip too. (more to hold on to)
    Another plus to the Beer can pots, is the cones will nest inside the cans.

Jesse McKinney

@jessemckinney

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I have the Ti-Tri titanium Caldera Cone and have no problems just using my shirt sleeve, glove, or a sock. I've been really amazed at how fast my stove and pot cool down. A couple of weeks ago on my last hike I used my set-up with a camp fire. I had the cone configured for a wood burning stove. This is where I use two tent stakes to 'float' the pot on top of the cone. I basically just put this contraption right into the large fire that my shelter companions had going when I showed up. I had no problems taking it out of the fire with just my fingers and light merino base layer sleeve. No burns. Two unburned thumbs up!

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I did a tutorial on installing Ti spoke bail handles on all my BPL Firelite SUL pots. I usually bookmark stuff like that but evidently didn't that time, and can't find it now. Pretty easy to do though. Less than three grams per handle and work like a charm.FireLite Titanium post with Ti Spoke bails

Manny, Moe and Jack sporting Ti spoke bail handles

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

What Denis said. Bail handle is a really light, and convenient, way to go. FWIW, I've never had a problem picking up my Titan kettle or Evernew UL Ti pot by the handles coming off my Caldera/Ti-Tri. Shoot, I can usually even grab the pot off the stove if I'm burning wood.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

Just don't be stupid enough to unthinkingly use the sleeve of your fleece jacket…this was for that first cup of coffee.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

I have the 550SUL and caldera Cone and used it to hike the entire PCT this year. I used my bandana to grab the edge of the pot and took small stick found laying on the ground next to me and stick it through one of the holes on the bottom of the cone and pull them apart.

However, there were times when I just used the bandana and compressed it around the top of the cone and poured the water out of the pot into my freezerbag while the pot was still in the cone.

-Miner

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Locale: Vegas

I have the Caldera Keg, and have no problem picking it up using my Smartwool glove liners.

As for the comment about the pot not coming out of the cone, the aluminum tends to expand after its been heated, which losens the fit. Must be why they make it fit so tightly when you first get it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools