Topic

Possumdown?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Possumdown?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Peter Leonard
    BPL Member

@peterleo

Anybody know where to get Possumdown gloves and socks? The Backpacking Light Shop seems to be always out of stock.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range
    Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

http://www.nznature.co.nz/

I just ordered gloves and socks from this site. Arrived either Friday or yesterday (I was out backpacking since Friday morning). I ordered Nov. 3, they shipped the next day. So about 10 days to get here. First glance, these are great! They seem well made, very warm, have about the same possum down to merino wool blend as the BPL gloves/socks. In fact, they seem very much like the BPL gloves I already have. And the price was great (a touch cheaper than the BPL gloves, and their price includes shipping!). The gloves, size medium, weigh 40 grams on my scale. Haven't put the socks on yet, but I can't wait to try them! I'll be using them as sleeping socks.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

They are very warm. My only concern is that they are not all that sturdy. I've worn holes in two of the fingers of my gloves. The palms are also pretty threadbare, mostly because I palm the tops of my trekking poles.

The socks I wear only to sleep, so they are in pretty good shape. I bought a second pair of the gloves when they were available from BPL. Time to switch to them, I think.

They are about as warm as any gloves for the weight as any I have ever used, however.

Stargazer

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"My only concern is that they are not all that sturdy."

Hi Thomas! Is this comment about possum down gloves in general? Or have you only purchased the one's from BPL?

Regardless, I think you're probably right for this type of glove overall. I already have a hole at the base of my thumb (front side, as it curves up to the forefinger) in the BPL gloves I have. But they are warm!

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

"Is this comment about possum down gloves in general? Or have you only purchased the one's from BPL?"

Truth is, I didn't know that there were any possum-down items that weren't from BPL until I read your post. I'll be checking out that web site in NZ as soon as I rob a liquor store on the way home from work tomorrow.

Stargazer

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"as I rob a liquor store on the way home from work tomorrow"

I was just listening to Todd Snider on the way back from my weekend adventure! You might want to listen to "Broke" from his album "Near Truths and Hotel Rooms." Actually, the entire album is fabulous!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Doug

Thanks for your feedback on the gloves. Would you mind weighing the socks for us?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Would you mind weighing the socks for us?"

One pair, size medium, 67 grams.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Thanks, That was quick!

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

I have had good experiences ordering from nznature. The possum down socks I have are excellent.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I've read of others who had durability problems with Possum down gloves. In light of that I'll stick to fleece or the heavier pile gloves as liners. Been doin' it for years.

Winter is no time to sacrifice durability for light weight.

Dingo Johnson
    Spectator

@dingo332

There's a store in Culpeper, VA that has been selling Possumdown for years. It's called the Cameleer, website: http://www.thecameleer.com. They don't have the Possumdown stuff on their website but I know they sell the socks for $25, gloves for $23, hats and scarves are $35-50. Cheaper than most other places.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Same experience as Thomas along what Eric also suggested.
    The stuff is definitely warm for the weight and (to me…) feels warm when wet too, however I would not wear the gloves by themselves using poles nor have a pack in direct contact with my jumper.
    So I would also confine the socks to camp or just night duties.
    It is available here in Australia (can't remember the brand..) in some military disposal stores.

Franco

J B
    BPL Member

@johannb

Locale: Europe

I think you're right Eric.

I used them without my mittens for one hour or so and one hand dissolved. The other one was fine though.

two pints
    Spectator

@madgoat

Locale: Ohio

I have no input on possum down durability, but just a quick warning on allergies.

I have a very mild cat allergy. I got some possum down gloves for Christmas a few years ago and quickly discovered that my mild cat allergy was aggravated by the possum fur in the gloves. This shocked me quite a bit, because my cat allergy was hardly noticeable.

So just a warning to those with even mild pet allergies…. or those who hike with others who have pet allergies… you may have a reaction to possum down

Thanks again to BPL who allowed me to return them.

Tyler Hughes

@catsnack

Locale: Smoky Mountains

maybe it should actually be called catdown

Clint N.
    Spectator

@cnewitt

Locale: Utah

Can those who have purchased possum down socks for sleeping from the sites mentioned here tell me which particular socks they have tried. Each site seems to have several varieties and I want to make sure I get a thick sleep sock and not something lighter, meant more for dress wear.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools