Topic

Cuben shelter. only 6 oz.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cuben shelter. only 6 oz.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

there the difference…

The spec sheet i have from Cubic Tech lists ct1k.08 at 17.4gsm. That explains how my num is always a little lighter.

this is the one i have
    *CUBIC TECH PRODUCT INFO PACK 090720 v3*
    If there is a newer one could someone send it to me?

-Tim

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire
    Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

This is the "HBK" stuff. Available through Cubic Tech, 9 yard panel min IIRC. About $35 USD per yard. It is very strong.

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

Cool. The HBK part numbers are also listed in the spec sheet I linked above. I wondered what those were.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Non-nautical fabric weights are advertised per square yard (36" x 36"), often before coating.

Nautical fabric weights are per "Sailmaker's Yard", which is 28.5" x 36" or 0.792 square yards. Fabric that weighs 0.60 ounces per sailmaker's yard would weigh 0.76 ounces per square yard. (This is consistent with the MLD references made in posts above).

Then of course the SI units are different as well- one square meter would be 1.20 square yards or 1.51 sailmaker's yards. (I sure hope there isn't a "sailmaker's meter")

From Sailmaker.com:
    sailmaker's yard:
    An English/American unit of area for measuring the weight of sailcloth. It is 28.5 inches wide by 36 inches long. To say a piece of cloth is 6.5 ounce means a piece measuring 28.5" by 36" would weigh 6.5 ounces. This rather strange "yard" seems to be a remnant from the days when it was universally agreed that no one would ever be able to build a loom wider than 28.5 inches which would weave sail cloth. (Today 54 inches is common.)

Some other internet references mentioned an older width of 27".

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

The product sheet I have has prices on it, the one from their site doesn't. IS there an updated sheet that includes pricing?

-Tim

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

This is what I used for the winter pack I made with the snow show pouch:

That pack was a heavy one at about 2.54 ounces

I bought my 4 – cord Cuben fiber several years ago at a real good discount. Several different "weights" were 5 yard plus – pieces left over from panels that were cut up for "sample" packs. I just called at the right time and asked what they had in "short" pieces. It was about half price.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Bill,

Do you remember the weight of that fabric, is that the .99 stuff you mentioned earlier?

Looks like i win! Cubic Tech updated the info sheet that was on their site. The CT1k.08 is now listed at 17.4gsm, i guess when stuff gets lighter everyone wins, but i am still claiming this as my victory.

-Tim

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi Tim,

The (4-directional) Cuben in my picture is 0.49 ounces per square yard and is listed as CTO.3HBK.08/F.5. I have no idea what the (F.5) means. I bought this in June – 2006.

I believe the difference in weight between what Cuben has on the list of products and what I get is the difference between a square meter and a square yard. Or maybe a sailmakers (something) and a square yard. As an example if a square yard on a product is 0.33 of an ounce that same fabric would weigh 0.39 per square meter. In the early days of buying Cuben I would just ask "what is the lightest Cuben you have? Then decide if it was what I wanted or not.

Since my first piece of Cuben I think I am close to having bought 100 yards of it. Almost all in the lightest version. I have been using Cuben Fiber since summer / fall of 2004.

My other (4- directional) cord Cuben is 0.66 and 0.99 ounces per square yard(+/-) a bit.

My Cuben sample pack is hiding so I can't check and see what the sample says on it.

Rob Hubbard

@robwa10

Locale: England

Jotaro I was just wondering how the shelter has done in terms of durability with all the questions it had about durability?

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools