Topic

Cuben shelter. only 6 oz.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cuben shelter. only 6 oz.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Jotaro Yoshida
    BPL Member

@jotaro

Locale: Sagamihara

I made a prototype shelter by using 0.6 oz. cuben fiber.

dimension:
    8.6' wide x 5' depth x 4.3' tall

shape:
    pyramidal shape with catenary cut

it's only 6 oz.(170g) without stakes, extra guy-line and pole.

it's very easy one hiking pole and at least 4 stakes to pitch.

Cuben shelter 6 oz. (170g) not include stakes, extra guy-line and pole.

cuben shelter wieght proof

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Looks an awful lot like an MLD DuoMid.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Wow, that looks great. I'm curious as to how you have a final weight so much lower then the MLD DuoMid. You both use the same material and have almost the same dimensions (I think yours is a bit shorter)…what are the differences. It looks very well made.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Chris,
    Ron uses black reinforcement at the top…
    And I don't see door tie-outs.
    Otherwise, "Imitation is the best form of flattery".

But, being shorter, I wonder why it isn't seamed like a SpeedMid?

Jang-Tian Shieh(Syoten)
    BPL Member

@syoten

Locale: Taiwan

It looks so nice to me since I found my sil MLD duomid a little too long. The workmanship looks excellent. Furthermore, the weight is amazing.

Besides, how did you reinforce at the top?

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Nice … VERY nice!

A couple questions:
    1) zipper size? (#3, #5, ??)
    2) how much catenary deflection when cutting the sloped edges?
    3) did you sew, glue or tape the seams? or some combination of those?

Jotaro Yoshida
    BPL Member

@jotaro

Thank you for all comments.^^

As all of you noticed, by natural consequences, it looks like DuoMid. But I don't have the pattern and don't have a Duomid. Furthermore, I've never seen DuoMid itself in real. And It seems to have different cutting and seam line compare to DuoMid. Also upper vent window is different.

As so many dome tents unavoidably oriented same direction of shape and design, it is unavoidable to make mono-pole shelter as most primitive shape and it is a result of most efficiency cutting from this expensive fabric.

I have no idea why mine is lighter than DuoMid. And I don't know how much does the DuoMid weight. I'm using Dyneema x gridstop and heavy PVC coated fabric for reinforcement at peak and every tie outs.

Zipper size is #3. Catenary deflection is about 1.6".
    I lightly glued and then sewed all seams.

Unknown abc

@edude

Wow, very nice and impressive. You should go into business making those… "XUL Cuben pyramid tent"

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

Impressive! Can I buy one?

Alternatively, this shelter was born to inspire a MYOG article at backpackinglight.com!

Stargazer

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

Jotaro very nice job! The weight is mind blowing.

This has me thinking I may want to try a catenary cut for a similar design I am planning.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

Wow, what beautiful workmanship! And a beautiful taut pitch to it.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

What CUBEN FIBER did you use, not the weight but the CUBIC TECH trade name?

I used ct2k.08 (.74oz, MLD's .6) and made a mid a little longer, but shorter and narrower than yours. I used sil for the tie-out reinforcements and 1.9 for the peak and a #zipper. All are as light or lighter than you used but my weight was 8oz, however i did add line-locs to the 6 tie-outs, so subtract 1 ounce, but still heavier.

I am thinking you may have the one step lighter CUBEN fabric.

-Tim

Jotaro Yoshida
    BPL Member

@jotaro

Thank you for all comments.^^
    I appreciate for all.

well, if somebody want to get my products, I'm ready to sell.
    now I'm preparing web shop to start to sell my products including this cuben shelter.

I choose CT0.6K.08. also i put 6 linelocs.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

According to Cubic Tech CT0.6K.08 is .45 oz and not .6 oz. That explains the weight.

Jotaro Yoshida
    BPL Member

@jotaro

I made a mistake. I'm living in metric system.^^

CT0.6K.08 is 15.8g/sqm nearly equal to 0.56oz/sqm.
    So I wrote 0.6oz.(/sqm) .
    It is about 0.45 oz./sqyd

thanks.

Jang-Tian Shieh(Syoten)
    BPL Member

@syoten

I really want to buy one.
    But I still concern about the strength of 0.45 oz./sqyd cuben which I haven't see or touch itself. According to specification of MLD speed tarp, .60 cuben is almost twice as strong as .45 one, and other descriptions sounds it really needs special care. Thus, I'm looking foward to seeing any review of this 6 oz. two persons pyramid.

I can't wait to see your web shop!

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

that explains the awesomely light weight. Great job by the way. I love gear that is insanely light, its fun.

-Tim

Jotaro Yoshida
    BPL Member

@jotaro

reference data

extracts from CT specifications

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

how do you feel about the durability of the .47oz stuff you used? The heavier .75 i feel will be stronger than silnylon and should last a long time. That said the weight savings that can be achieved with the lighter fabric is fantastic and i hope to hear some reports on long term durability.

the stuff MLD is calling their .45 is actually the .57 stuff and their .6 is the .75. I am not sure what others are using and calling .6, but OWARE recently got some of the .75 on the big order that was made for the brown fabric. There are a few people who have used the .57 stuff for large mid and now you are using even lighter material. I am hoping to hear great things about the durability.

I have been using the .33 (one step down from the .47) for quilts and it is much too fragile for shelter use. I am excited to see if the only slightly heavier .47 is robust enough for this purpose.

Keep us posted on your site, very exciting!

-Tim

Jang-Tian Shieh(Syoten)
    BPL Member

@syoten

Tim,

If people do call the .57 stuff .45 and .75 stuff .60. I'm wondering if it is possible that the situation is similiar to silnylon. For example, the 1.4oz/sq.yd. one is 1.1oz/sq.yd. before silicone impregated.

Anyway, I think calling a .75 stuff .60 is misleading. It makes people feel that the stuff is lighter than it really is, and for me I just believed the assertion that the spectalite.60 is Less than half the weight of Silnylon described in MLD's fabric mojo.

Zpacks also has .60 oz/sq.yd. cuben. Does anyone has idea how much it really weighs?

I'm still not sure the .60 stuff used by MLD is .75 stuff or not. Hope Ron can answer this question.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi,

When ever I get a new batch of Cuben Fiber I cut a piece 36 inches square and weight it on a triple beam gram scale. Then I do the math to see what it weighs vs what I bought. That is the only way you will know for sure what the true weight is.

The only Cuben I ever bought that was not very close to the weight I thought it would be was the Blue Cuben. For some reason it was just a bit heavier than the product information said it would be.

I don't know how many folks know but you can buy Cuben Fiber with 4 cords running all a different way. North / South – East / West and corner to corner. This 4 cord Cuben is super strong. My lightest 4 cord Cuben is 0.66 ounces per square yard. I have some other 4 cord Cuben that is 0.99 ounces per square yard. The problem with the 4 cord Cuben is a much higher price.

Jang-Tian Shieh(Syoten)
    BPL Member

@syoten

Bill,

I've never heard about 4 cord Cuben. Thank you for the information. Besides where can we get it?

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

>>>Zpacks also has .60 oz/sq.yd. cuben. Does anyone has idea how much it really weighs?<<<

I'm nearly certain the Zpacks .6oz/sq.yd cuben is the CT1K.08 listed at 0.57 oz/yard because when I was working with Joe on a custom tarp he used .6 per yard for the raw cuben weight for his estimate, and the finished tarp came in within a couple of grams of his estimate.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Ron (MLD) posted on here before that what he calls .6 really weighs .75 and what he calls .45 is .51, or .57 something like that.

Bill, I wish i had the bank, or could sell product at the high cost required to use the High Bias stuff. I am sure it is much stronger. Is the HB stuff in the .9 what you make packs with?

When i convert the CT1K.08 i get .51oz yd2. How are others getting .57? I am multiplying the gsm by 0.02948 *as suggested by Jon from Cuic Tech* When i do this for the other weights the answer i get is very close to what others report, .33 and .75 but i get .51 and others report .57, am i doing something wrong?

-Tim

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

Tim,

I got that same formula from someone.

My spec sheet from Cubic Tech lists CT1K.08 at 19.3 g/m2.

19.3 x 0.02948 = 0.5689 oz/yard2 although I've heard it's often closer to 0.6/yard2 in reality.

Isn't there something funny about how this is sold though? If you bought a yard long the roll is actually wider than a yard, so you're getting more than a square yard…??? Maybe Ron is weighing a yard in length at the standard roll width so it weighs more than an actual square yard of fabric? It's also possible he ordered the wrong stuff or they sent him the wrong stuff. There always seems to be massive confusion around the part numbers and weights so it's certainly possible. These are just wild guesses on my part, I don't really know.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools