Topic

New Golite Peak

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Golite Peak

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Locale: Outside

I was in Seattle this week and saw the new Golite Peak at REI. I wasnt impressed. Has anyone used this pack yet? Ali
    1lb 11oz
    2600CI

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Locale: UK

Why were you not impressed?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Mine is showing up today. I can see how some might not be impressed by its weight… but the Peak may have potential… I'll post my initial thoughts and maybe some pics after it shows up… then I'll share further thoughts and findings after I take it out this weekend on an overnighter. Lets give Peak a chance… ;)

David Ure

@familyguy

"lb 11oz
    2600CI"

Any other features? Once again – weight gain doesn't happen in a vaccuum.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

The issue is the weight. Golite had such a great opportunity to simply make a lightweight backpack in between an Ion and an older style Jam2. You can see many fine examples of how people have modified the ion to be such a pack. If the Peak were simply an ion with a slight size increase, roll top, and mesh pockets you would have a great pack that would weigh under a pound. Instead golite decides to somehow double the needed weight. That is a crazy amount of weight to add to an item in my world for what benefit I ponder. Me thinks the benefit is mass market appeal, not ultra-light backpacking.

Golite items I own or have owned: Jam2, Ion Pack, Virga Jacket, Reed Pants, Wisp Windshirt, Ponchotarp, and Ultra 20 Quilt. One by one Golite is killing each of these excellent pieces of ultralight gear. I predict the Reed pants are the next to go.

Jamie

David Ure

@familyguy

Isn't the Peak an 'Active' daypack to be used for things other than backpacking – i.e. moderate climbing, scrambling, etc.

The ION's waistbelt is useless and the Peak allows you to remove the belt entirely so that will drop some weight.

More importantly, at least in my opinion, the Peak is made with recycled content. Great for the environment. The SUL packs are the domain of the cottage makers now. I suspect Golite has accepted that and is moving on.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anonymous
    Inactive

I dig the pack. I think there is a lot to wack out of there if one were feeling creative, and up to it. The back mesh panel piece is THICK… seems like a lot of weight is in this piece alone. One could simply cut out the mesh, WITHOUT removing or touching the gray fabric… and maybe get your GG 3/4 TorsoLight/or similar in there (don't know for sure yet, as it is not in front of me to check for fit). The inner foam pad pocket would protect the pack contents from exposure. Anyhow, I like it…

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

It looks like a pretty decent day pack to me. Certainly a lot better than the VO 24.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

It's an interesting design and it has a lot of potential. I think we should be careful to criticize Golite until we know how the weight breaks down.

Here is my guess:

Removable Backpad: 1oz (based on how much my 2009 Jam pad weighs)
    Hydration Bladder: 1oz (easy to cut the stitches and remove)
    Backpad Sleeve: 1oz (kinda permanent, but easy to cut out)
    Hipbelt Pockets & Padded Wings: 3oz per side
    Actual waistbelt strap: 2oz

Based on these rough guesses, you could probably reduce this 31oz pack down to 20oz by removing this stuff, and probably another ounce lower by trimming the straps.

Class leading packs are roughly 3-6 oz lighter than this. I think most of this additional weight is due to the thick 3D mesh padding that Golite is using in the backpanel and perhaps due to the new recycled fabrics. This 3D mesh is nice though, so the value of this depends on the wearer. People who get really sweaty backs may prefer this.

Jack G

@nomadjack

Locale: Midwest

Two side compression straps just like the Jam. It was overkill on the Jam and even more so on the Peak. Not to mention the bottom one interferes when trying to get water bottles in and out.

It's an ounce heavier than the '09 Jam so really what is the point. I realize the '10 Jam will be 2 pounds or more but why would someone who has an '09 Jam buy it.

Alan, the boat is looking great. Congrats on launching. Is that a Dahon Mμ Uno?

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

I defended the 2009 Jam when most people around here dumped on it. I think it's a major improvement, and the weight is justified.

Not so sure about the peak. Seems to me you'd be better off with the Jam, with its increased volume, if you're going to be carrying a 2-lb pack. (This looks just like the Jam anyway.)

Don't really see the market for this one. I would have preferred a beefier Ion, something for UL overnighters, but with side pockets for water bladders. Something that weighs 12 oz or less…..Not sure Golite is going there though. And not sure why not.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

"I would have preferred a beefier Ion, something for UL overnighters, but with side pockets for water bladders."

I agree 100%. This would have been a great addition to ultra lightbackpacking.

David Ure

@familyguy

There are many UL 40L packs available – why do we need another? In fact, I would argue that if Golilte made this type of pack it would take away from the cottage producers' sales, which none of us want. I think this will be a great daypack. With a daypack, I could care less about a few ounces.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

Nice pack, they definitely needed to improve their sternum straps, being the Jam2 sternum strap will pop-off. I put a Gossamer Gear Sternum strap on my Jam2, which will not come loose now. I'd had a heck of a time just getting it attached.
    Not sure I like how the hip-belt attaches on the Peak though? I still like how Gossamer Gear's hip-belts attach the best. I'd like to see other packs made in the same manner, as it would be easier to swap out belts and give you some added adjustment in the torso. You also get a full wrap around the hips too which aids in comfort and carry as well. If I could only sew!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Once again – weight gain doesn't happen in a vaccuum."

I bet some diet company can word smith the above into an awesome ad slogan…

Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Locale: Outside

Slight hijack, Jack hi, it is a Dahon Mu P8. In my ongoing effort to lesson my footprint I have sold my last car and the Dahon in my new transportation. Its been getting down to freezing around here and I,m on about day 180 with my LaFuma 30 degree bag " 99 Bucks" and still happy with it. I'm planning a winter expedition, Dahon to trail head fold it hide it and set off to do more testing with my La Fuma if only I could find a great small pack.
    I have been so excited for a new pack from go-lite something Like a super Ion. I wore the peak loaded with 20lbs around the store for about an hour. The hip belt is useless and I dont like the foam in the backpannel. Price wise you can buy a much better carying pack for the money and weight. For me its a useless addition to their line up. I just dont see any difference from the peak to the jam2. Just my 2 centsDahon

David Ure

@familyguy

If you want a Super Ion, buy the MLD Prophet. Regular or Super.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just returned from an overnighter with the pack. Yes, the hip belt is useless for anything other than stuffing its pockets. I believe that most who will be looking into this pack will likely be leaving the hip belt behind. The mesh back panel is super thick. It did a great job of collecting dirt/pebbles and any other brush/matter it came into contact with. Reminded me of an air conditioning/heating filtration pad … and it also reminded me that I needed to change those filter pads before I start using the heater this winter ;) Sweating wasn't a major problem, as it was chilly out… but I can see this panel holding a fair amount of sweat, and maybe sogging out… the back of my 150 weight merino tee was pretty damp. This mesh just seems unnecessarily thick and likely contributes to the packs porkiness. I would have just cut it out. I found myself wishing that the front pocket had been made of mesh as I dug to find what I was looking for… and yes, the lower side straps made using the pack's side pockets a lil' bit of a chore.
    Anywho, this one is going back, and I have placed an order for MLD's Prophet… If I were to wack this Peak up to shave ounces and tailer it to better suit my needs… then I still wouldn't have anything near as light, nor as simple, or even as nice as MLD's Prophet.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Did you happen to see how much weight you save by leaving the belt and hip pockets at home?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Honestly, I don't think the Golite Peak is being geared towards the uber UL niche backpacking market that frequents this forum, although I think several may find a place for the Peak in their gear closet anyways :) It is definitely a multipurpose pack intended for a variety of users/applications, the pack volume and design seems perfect for peak bagging, overloaded day hikes, UL weekends or more, snowshoeing trips, whatever…

As a mainstream lightweight outdoor company I think the fact that Golite is increasing their sustainability, and is pushing the envelope in recycled materials/fabrics in much of their new line of gear, much like Patagonia has for years is of great merit. The extra ounces gained in using recycled materials personally for me is a non-issue. The volume on the Peak is much more manageable for dayhike usage than the Jam2, essentially the 36L Peak can easily be decreased to a sub 20L pack or less utilizing the Compaktor system and cinched down further with the 4 side compression straps. Bonus feature with the Peak, don't need the hipbelts, don't take them, at least they're included. I find the hipbelts on the Jam2 to provide some stability and comfort, but isn't always necessary, now you have that option with the Peak without having to literally cut them off. It seems that the Golite Peak is to the Jam2 as the MLD Prophet is to the Exodus, am I off here? However, no one seems to be finding that to be a pointless reiteration on behalf of MLD.

The MLD Prophet comes in at $170 base price, non-recycled materials, no bungee feature, no hipbelts, no hydration sleeve, all additional options you have to shell over money for on top of the base price/weight, this is going to bring the Prophet within a few ounces of the Peak and much more in cost. The Peak also doesn't leave you with bare Dyneema against your back on hot sweaty days, which is most of the season in NM for me. Don't get me wrong, I like and own MLD gear and think supporting the smaller guy is the way to go if you can afford it, I just think the Peak is being prematurely cast aside as another Golite "mistake" on behalf of some of the scrutinizing BPL members.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

"I don't think the Golite Peak is being geared towards the uber UL niche backpacking market that frequents this forum"

I'm not sure who this pack is aimed for but it seems like Golite IS targetting us with all the removable features. Who else besides a weight weenie would leave the waist strap at home? I think the problem might be that Golite is trying to target everybody with this pack and that's why it has some good features like this, but also a portly weight.

"It seems that the Golite Peak is to the Jam2 as the MLD Prophet is to the Exodus, am I off here? However, no one seems to be finding that to be a pointless reiteration on behalf of MLD."

I think most people agree that this size of pack is good but the weight is wrong and that is the main complaint. In the context of this site, most people use 40L packs for ultralight weekend trips where you are going to have a total pack weight around 8-20lbs. In this context, you don't need a 27oz frameless pack.

The MLD Prophet is 13.9oz and includes a hipbelt. Yeah it's more expensive and would weigh 15-17oz if you added some options to it, but that's still dramatically lighter for essentially the same thing. I'd happily pay an extra $50-$70 to shave off 10oz. I can think of a lot of things I would rather carry on a hiking trip for 10oz than recycled fabrics and breathable back mesh….some ideas include a good book, scotch, a much nicer camera etc.

I'm all for recycling, but I think using recycled fabrics in GoLite's 'ultralight' packs is a mistake. The 2010 Jam is 5oz heavier than the 2009 Jam for essentially the same design. The only changes I can see are the removable hipbelt and recycled fabrics. The release mechanism for the hipbelt looks pretty light, so most of this 5oz gain seems to be from the new fabrics which don't add any function.

Lucas Boyer
    BPL Member

@jhawkwx

Locale: 38.97ËšN, 95.26ËšW

For those who would like to use "recycled materials": How about buying someone's used Jam that they tossed to the side to buy the latest and greatest from Golite? Reduce, Reuse, & Recycle. MLD vs. Golite is apples and oranges. Until MLD off-shores to somewhere in China and moves in to the volume range of Golite, it's a moot point to compare. The narrow range of volume between a Prophet and Exodus/Ohm and Conduit reflects the thin line between short/long distance trips. I know that many people pack differently for a 1 or 2 night jaunt than they do for a multiday trek. However, I'm more likely to bring the same full seasonal kit on a 1 night or a 10 night trip. Thus, the only difference is food rations. Breaking this down further, one realizes that we plan for resupply in 4-6 days sometimes. Soon, you realize that one needs 3-4 days of additional food capacity to stretch from overnighter to multiday. Another thought. In the ULA inteview w/ the new owner, he points out that the Catalyst is their best selling pack. I speculate those of us using Ohms, Jams, Conduits, Prophets are even in the minority of UL hikers. This makes for a pretty exclusive group of backpackers. Of course we will find fault with Golite's offerings. We are a pinprick on their marketing radar. Emotional appeal is a big part of packs like the Peak. If utility was a mainstream selling point, we would all be driving small compact cars w/ a radio and steering wheel, rather than seeking out GPS, DVD, seatwarmers, et al. Sorry to digress in to a sociopolitical diatribe on consumer trends here, but something as simple as a backpack reflects the larger trend in mass marketing.

Disclaimer: my rants are in no way meant to scandalize Golite. They fill a very relevant role in the gear marketplace. Because they off-shore, etc., they can offer price points that many people in the market for gear need. A sale-price Jam for $80'ish vs. $170 Prophet is a deal breaker for many, if not most. Weight costs money, how low do you want to go?

Ali e, I applaud you for your efforts to take UL in to your daily life as well. I'm formulating my move from way too much real estate to mortgage free living right now. I like the sail boat, but my wife gets terribly seasick every time we sail.

David Ure

@familyguy

"I'm not sure who this pack is aimed for but it seems like Golite IS targetting us with all the removable features. "

Well this is what I was trying to get at with my original posts. If you have ever climbed with a harness, a removable hipbelt is ideal. A pack that can be stripped for alpine climbs is ideal too. I am not saying this is what Golite intended, but I am thinking that they are pursuing the active pursuits of outdoors people rather than just the groomed trail multiday backpacker.

By the way, this pack is not too heavy. My muscles could handle it…..;)

(but I don't like frameless packs so this one is not even on my radar screen.)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dan, I did not weigh the hip belts once off the pack. :( sorry.

As for a comparo… I was in no way comparing the Peak to the Prophet… Golite vs. MLD… uh-uh. I was simply stating that after giving the Peak the ol' college try, I feel the MLD Prophet will better suit 'my' needs, and therefore I am happy to spend an extra 25 dollars (accounting for tax and shipping on the Peak…REI)for the MLD Prophet.

I was looking for a smaller pack for summer – 3 season overnighters in Cali. I didn't even fill the Peak. Summerlite, Neo small, an 1/8 inch GG thinlight, caldera esbit keg, layers, a bit of food, water, and a few essential odds and ends. Left the tarp at home since, if I had to, I could just bail into the Contrail my brother brought along.

It was a nice pack. I just felt I could Go-Lite-er ;)

Lucas… Excellent points!
    David… Yes, this pack is not too heavy… most anyones muscles could handle it… but, this is backpacking light, not backpacking butch ;)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools