Topic

Snowshoeing with Roclite 390’s

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Snowshoeing with Roclite 390’s

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

How are people using roclite 390 gtx with snowshoes? The snowshoe strap isn't just going to stay in place behind the heel when it isn't made for a snowshoe? Are you using a screw in the back to hold the snowshoe strap? Thanks for any info.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Worked fine with northernlite snowshoes without a screw or any other mod.

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

Second Mark's comment. Same shoe with NorthernLights, no issues or mods or regrets.

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

These boots have no insulation. Get them big enough for 2 pairs of socks. Feet will still get cold.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

What snowshoes? MSR shouldn't need anything extra.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Been using 390 GTXs with my Northernlite Backcountry shoes for the past three seasons with great luck. No need for extra socks either as when moving my feet are more that warm enough. When its time to stop though its also time to change socks and get some warm down booties on the feet to stay warm.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

> Get them big enough for 2 pairs of socks

My feet have been warm enough with mod-weight or light fleece sock down to 10F when I am active. They might be fine lower than that… but I have no experience because I automatically switch to vapor barrier socks when it's <=10F

–Mark

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I've been using Roclite 390's for snowshoes this winter and they've worked very well.

I bought then oversized to allow for thicker socks and I use Warmlite VBL liners below about 20F.

Sam's "When its time to stop though its also time to change socks and get some warm down booties on the feet to stay warm." exceeds my fiddle factor threshold … but that's a YMMV thing. (I recall Sam bouncing around like Tigger to warm up one cold morning … much too athletic for me!)

Sizing up 1 size (from 12 to 13) would probably have been enough but Zappos customer feedback contains a lot of entries saying many Inov8 models run 1/2 size small so I sized up 2 sizes. That leaves room for two pairs of heavy socks without being too tight. It does get cold here so I don't feel too bad about that and they aren't TOO loose with one pair.

Another thing I did was replace the factory insoles with 1/4" felt insoles … nice and toasty!

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Not snow-shoeing, but I had some wading through 1-2' snow over the last week.

Only issue I see with them, without the snowshoes, is that snow gets under the mesh top around the toes.

I had a huge ice bubble in the outer toe area for days, drove me crazy.

Agree with previous comments, I used these just fine with walmart nylon liner sock and light merino hikers.

edit: From what I've seen, Inov8 sizing is VERY inconsistent. I resold a pair of 390's I bought on the forums that were too narrow. Then I found a store that sells closeouts that had like 5 pairs of the same size. I tried on each pair, each pair had a noticeably different fit.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools