Topic

scavenging parts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear scavenging parts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris Collins

@hobbitling

Does anyone here scavenge parts from off the shelf gear for their projects? I'm talking anything from notions like zippers to complete pack components like shoulder straps or frame-sheets.

Is this considered bad form by the DIY purists? Do such people exist?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

people do it, but it is high cost MYOG. Take a $200 pack apart and make one with $25 worth of materials. It is cheaper to make (or acquire from a supplier) the stuff fresh than to scavenge, unless you have a bunch of gear you have no use for, then by all means. Sometimes it is still cheaper to sell the old gear and use the money to get the raw materials (which are pretty cheap unless you need cuben or dyneema)

Shoulder straps seem to be intimidating to many people but are very easy to make. I have used the design from the G4 omitting the velcro and ability to use socks as padding and just put foam in there. They are easy to make and work pretty good.

-Tim

David Wills

@willspower3

I scavenge whenever a piece gets 'retired' or modified. This goes for non gear too, like my little sisters old school packs. zipper pulls, plastic webbing buckles, tabs of velcro, cord locks, pack stays, elastic cord are all fair game. They will get used, even if just in a prototype, but then reused again and again. good times

Chris Collins

@hobbitling

oh…I'm not talking about buying a new piece of gear for the purpose of scavenging it. I'm thinking more of picking the carcasses of deceased gear.
    Sure beats throwing it away.

Although I have occasionally bought a thrift store item for a few bucks to use the fabric or zippers. for example I've bought mesh shirts to use as pocket linings in jackets.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I've got a 3' cube box that's overflowing, mostly with scavenged bits. Zippers, straps, fabric patches from dead gear, bits I've cut off other things to make them lighter, etc.

I've had great success with buying gear specifically for hacking from two places: our local sports consignment (webbing and buckles off old packs cheaper than buying them in bulk) and the Patagonia outlet. A XXL capilene shirt for 2 bucks gives a lot of material.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools