Topic

Steripen

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Steripen

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    douglas girling
    BPL Member

@dgirling

Locale: Adirondacks

Dan

True, Aquamira does require mixing – and that is a pain.
    Klear water is a chlorine dioxide treatment that does not require mixing (I think available on BPL store) and Micropur MP1 treatment tabs also chlorine dioxide. I prefer the latter, these are my chemical treatment of choice – individually foil wrapped – so they stay fresh until you need them.

Re streipen I use the adventurer and this has worked well. No first hand experience with the journey. The older blue and white model works well too – it's just a bit bulky

doug

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The Micropur MP1 treatment tabs do seem like a nice way to go. Seems like pretty much the same deal as AquaTabs (ie. price, weight, hassle) but they have the added bonus of killing crypto.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

James Naphas
    BPL Member

@naphas13

Locale: SoCal

>>Ken –

>> You can get little charcoal filters that fit inside a large mouth Nalgene to go along with, to handle funky flavors.<<

Where can I get one of these?<<

Ditto this question, and another: would the filters fit something lighter that has a smaller mouth than a nalgene?

On my earlier post I forgot to add the carry less water (and weight) aspect of the steripen. When I'm using it I find myself commonly carrying 2-4 lbs less water weight, which I consider a lot, considering my shelter/bag/pack weighs in around 5 lbs.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Why does anyone use Aquamira over Klearwater? As far as I can tell, the only difference is that Klearwater can be dripped into the water right away, whereas Aquamira requires you to mix two different liquids and then wait 5 min before you put it in your water. I gotta be missing something…

douglas girling
    BPL Member

@dgirling

Locale: Adirondacks

It's probably a case of Aquamira being much more readily available – you can pick it up just about anywhere. It's a little harder to find Klear Water and furthermore a lot less people know about it. Klear Water may have a little less of a shelf life once it has been opened (This is just an assumption) as it has already been "activated" so to speak – but an open bottle will still last over a year, longer if you keep it in the fridge.
    Bottom line I'm sure if more people knew about the se alternative products they would more likely use them…….you should try mixing Aquamira in the pouring rain, an exercise in frustration.

I use the chemical treatments infrequently (my primary method is the steripen) and that's why I prefer the Micropur tabs (which are more expensive) but I can just keep them in my pack indefinitely and not worry about them.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Thx. That makes sense. I'll give Micropur and/or Klear Water a try soon.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I will look into the Micropur and Klear Water too… maybe they'll have one of the two at the local REI when I stop in there today. On a side note… I will be receiving my Golite Peak tomorrow, and in a new thread will post some pics.

Jeff Patrick
    BPL Member

@callmeammo

Do they make a charcoal filter for wide mouth collapsible bottles?

I want to be able to filter water as it goes into the widemouth. Then take off the filter and use a steripen and transfer that to my small mouth hydration bladder. (This would all be so much easier if steripen would make a tall and skinny model).

I've looked into the coffee filters but I'm thinking something homemade that would force the water to flow through the charcoal might be more efficient.

Would this work?

Possible Charcoal Filter for wide mouths

Jesse McKinney

@jessemckinney

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I have to add my two cents on carrying less water weight with the Steripen. On my last AT section I took Aquamira to save weight. It was a pain to treat which forced me to treat it in larger batches and carry a lot more water. This ended up being one of the heaviest things I carried. A liter of water weighs more than my backpack or my quilt.

I kept finding myself walking past water sources which weren't on the AT maps with a liter or more of water in my pack. All of my weight saving measures were pretty much circumvented by carrying more water.

If I was hiking in the desert it would make perfect sense, but on the Appalachian Trail it downright stank. I'll definitely be taking my Steripen on my next trip and carrying half of the water weight.

I figure by carrying a liter less water around all the time I can cut a kilo (2.2 pounds US) off of my pack weight. With around an 11 kilo (25 pounds US) skin-out wight for my fair weather 4-season set-up, that's almost a 10% drop in weight for the extra ~57 grams (2 ounce US) I will carry for my SteriPEN Adventurer.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> If I left the Steripen Journey out in my pack, or just out, it did not seem to work under those conditions.

Cold batteries.

Cheers

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

I used my Steripen Journey successfully in temperatures down around 20F. I simply kept it inside a stuff sack of clothing next to me in my hammock overnight, and in my jacket or pants pocket during the day.

One thing I like about the Journey is that the handle has a tapered rubber-like end that will fit perfectly in a Platypus bladder mouth. I can simply fill the bladder, insert the Journey into the mouth, and turn the bladder upside down and gently shake to treat the water. The way the end is made, water does not leak out.

One thing to consider if using chemicals and wanting to treat for crypto, is that ALL chemicals can actually take up to 4 hours to work on crypto. The 30 minute time is for bacteria, viruses, and guardia.

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

I've met a lot of people on the trail who swear by the Steripen. I must say, it is a great concept, however, I've seen a significant number of trail journal entries speaking to unreliability. Before everyone who's never had a problem chimes in, that's not the definition of reliability. The ratio of those who've had a problem to those who haven't is a better measure, and by that scale, a Steriipen doesn't have a great track record. Batteries are another consideration.

I currentl chemically treat my water for viruses and filter for protozoans (and to remove the virus killing chemicals after they've done their job. I'm seriously considering the Sawyer viral (0.02 micron) filter. No chemicals, no batteries and the manufacturer claims a 1 million gallon life expectancy. I've been using the Sawyer 0.1 micron filter with no problems for two years. The 0.02 micron filter would let me ditch the virus chemicals and the charcoal filter that extracts them. The initial price is higher than the Steripen, but no batteries and high reliability would seem to make the Sawyer a better value.

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

When I first got it I had trouble with my Steripen near freezing temps. But like Pamela I started just tucking it somewhere near me overnight and stuck it in my pocket to warm it up before using and have not had a failure since. Nice piece of kit once I figured that out.

Happy Trails,
    -Mark

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

Ummm… Why don't you guys boil water? Isn't boiling more effective and quick over chemical treatments?

I regularly boil and bring along chemical treatments (AquaMira, MicroPUR MP1) as a backup…

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Stopping to boil water throughout the day is a huge waste of time and fuel when trying to do a long mileage day. On long trips, running out of Aquamira drops isn't an issue- running out of fuel is.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Chris

> Why don't you guys boil water?
    Well, it's a hot day, and I am short of water, and I have just reached a nice little stream. If I use my Steripen, in 90 seconds I have a litre of cold water ready to drink.

If I boil the water, in 10 minutes I have a litre of boiling water. I can't drink that until it cools down. I can't pour it into UL water bottles safely. Now what?

I guess I could boil 3 L in the evening, but then I would have to carry that weight all the next day. Not very attractive.

Cheers

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools