Topic

Minimalist/ XUL/ 3 season gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Minimalist/ XUL/ 3 season gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Here is a very usable gear list that(with similar gear) has worked for me comfortably without a sleepingbag down to 45 degrees and if I want to go 35-40 (or extreme of 30 with assistance of leaves for bottom insulation) I add in that top bag.
    It was designed by me, for long distance, weekend fastpacks. We are talking 40mile days here. so I found some of the lightest gear including a pack with a minimal hipbelt for some running on the trails.

CLOTHING WORN OR CARRIED
    01.50 Head sweats visor
    03.50 Golite lite-weight long sleeve TOP
    04.20 Starter polyester shorts with liner
    01.20 Wrightsock double layer coolmesh socks
    26.00 Inov-8 Terroc 330

OTHER ITEMS WORN OR CARRIED
    06.40 BMW Stix pro trekking poles carrying duct tape
    01.30 spectra lanyard with photon light, whistle, swiss mini champ,
    02.60 Garmin Foretrex GPS watch
    00.50 banana boat spf 30 faces in pocket

PACKING SYSTEM
    02.75 Mountain laurel designs prophet 20 w/ hipbelt
    00.10 homemade stake bag
    00.10 no see um mesh stuff sack for essentials

SLEEPING AND SHELTER SYSTEM
    04.70 BMW spinn poncho
    01.70 BMW hi vis tent stakes (6) &Air core spectra 2 guy lines
    16.00 Nunatak Arc ghost***3season
    10.90 MLD Devotion***Summer
    01.70 thinlight 1/8
    06.50 BMW Vapr bivy

COOKING AND HYDRATION SYSTEMS
    NO COOKING
    01.80 platypus 1 liter bottles (2)
    00.50 20feet dyneema bear bag cord
    00.30 NANO bear bag

OTHER ESSENTIALS
    01.00 homemade first aid kit essentials
    00.50 , finger tip toothbrush, tp
    00.50 Dr. bronners for washing and toothpaste
    01.00 ID, money, information

CLOTHING PACKED
    05.00 montbell ul thermawrap vest
    04.00 Golite lite weight tights
    01.20 wrightsock double layer coolmesh socks
    02.00 Outdoor research PERUVIAN Hat

worn or carried 2.9 lbs
    in pack
    3 Season 3.2 lbs
    Summer 2.9

Michael Wands

@walksoftly

Locale: Piney Woods

Ryan – Great List! – Light & Simple.

My gear list is very similar. I also add a few essentials – a bug headnet and a ground cloth. Would rather get pinholes in a $10 piece of material than subject my $200 bivy to the bare ground.

What do you use for a water bag/bear bag? I have been keeping my energy bars in a hard-sided nalgene 32 oz. bottle, but this is hard to fit into my 700 ci weekend pack. Could use an alternative from a person who enjoys the simple life.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Michael,

I use something very similar to this
    Waterbag

It can be made from cuben or NANO and bemade lighter.

what pack do you use?
    have you posted your gear list, I am interested?

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Michael Wands

@walksoftly

I have a G6 and love it, but it is just too big for weekends in fair weather.

I now carry an Osprey Stratos 12.

I noticed that your gear list did not have any water purification method. Do you MP1 or AM?

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I like MP1
    I consider it a consumable though
    If I used AM then I would count dropper weight, but the MP1 wrapper weighs less than a gram, so I dont count it

Michael Wands

@walksoftly

I figured. I’m an MP1 man myself.

I’ve considered putting together a gear list, but I seem to alter my gear for every trip. Mostly because of expected temperatures at night, but seems like every trip requires less and less.

I really only have two criteria for selecting gear: 1) Do I really, really want to carry this? Figure I will be hiking alone so no chance to show off my kit. Doesn’t matter if it was a gift from Uncle Max or if it is the “in” thing that everyone is carrying, it boils down to the justification of carrying this particular piece of gear. 2) Will I use it every day? Doesn’t matter how useful it appeared online or how clever it seems to be, if I don’t use it every day then it is useless weight.

This really seems to boil things down to the essentials.

P.S. I know that the Osprey pack is decadent at 1 lb. 12 ounces for only 700 ci, but it just feels sooo good. I have trouble accepting the fact that my pack (just a gear container) is 20% of my load. However, I knew that I had to have it from the moment that I strapped it on! Love at first sight.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I change my list as well because of temperature. I will sometimes bring my cocoon jacket instead of vest, and of course for lower temps I add in the devotion top bag. It is kind of confusing to post a gear list

J R

@ravenul

“It is kind of confusing to post a gear list”

When your lists are based on weight as a primary factor, rather than multiple (including multi-season) functionality, in order to make a decently representational gear list you would more than likely need to create 3 (or 4) seperate lists for each season.

You might even have to localize your gear lists to particular trips only.

Your calling this a 3 season list that doesnt skimp on clothing… and for your area you might be right. But at 12K feet in one of the Colorado Wilderness areas, Id be loath to use this list for anything but high summer.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

True true,

I dont plan my gear based on the season, I plan on the expected temperatures. I live at sea level and most of my hiking doent go much above 4000 feet. so three season where I live is basically nights not much below 35.

so here is what I think

including all the clothing on my list.(two long sleeve shirts, long tights, shorts, warm hat, and a full wind suit)

temps down to 45 degrees at night:
    Just vest

down to about 40:
    vest and top bag

temps down to 35 at night:
    cocoon and top bag

temps down to 30:
    cocoon and Nunatak Arc Ghost

down to 25
    long pants instead of shorts for hiking
    extra tights cocoon and ghost

It may differ from time to time, But it basically goes like this.

I understand my list is more for the summer. But I have Used my vest and a 40 degree bag down to 35 no problem.
    I am a very cold sleeper.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Changed my list.

My goal for weekend trips is simplicity. So I now have a warmer sleeping bag and less clothing. that will work for temperatures anywhere from 30-40 degrees at night and for temps 40+ I will switch to a Devotion top bag

less stuff

Michael Wands

@walksoftly

My gear is also greatly influenced by the anticipated nighttime temperature. However, my main gear focus is on my reason for being out there in the first place – THE TRAIL. Rather than have a bag that I can bail into if the temperature drops, I would rather have the extra clothing layers to keep me moving down the trail in comfort and be able to extend my hiking day.

I live in the Southwest and can generally plan on a minimum of 45 degrees at night for three seasons. I pack accordingly. If I’m lucky enough to find some getaway time in New Mexico where it is freezing at elevation even in July, then I bring what is needed. But that is not my normal kit.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools