Topic

Best Undies?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best Undies?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

I'm looking for a new pair of performance underwear. (Sorry Commandos, I still choose to be restricted).

I previously had some polyester ones from Kohls, but they leave me wanting more. I have recently discovered the comfort and benefits of merino as well.

Icebreaker boxer briefs caught my eye. Any other suggestions?

I don't want to spend $50 on undies, unless they're made of gold.

Thanks.

Hal Potts

@halpotts

Locale: Middle Tennessee

I too am always in search of the perfect undies. I recently bought a pair of ExOfficio Boxer/Briefs and have worn them only once but I was very pleased. No chafing or binding, lightweight and just the right amount of slippery texture.

david richardson
    BPL Member

@drichi

Locale: midwest

take a look at ExOfficio brand underwear. dave

Brian Markey
    BPL Member

@bmlaw

Locale: Northeast
    Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

I use Under Armour HeatGear Boxerjock and I love em. They go for $20 usually. They would probably keep you cooler than Merino undies, but Merino keeps the stink away.

-Sid

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Check out Minus33 merino boxer briefs… 25 or 30 bucks, and I think they're even more comfortable than the IB ones.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

I've been very happy with "C9 By Champion" antimicrobial boxer briefs from Target. They have two types- one a thin, smooth knit and the other a bit thicker, more open knit, both synthetic. I've found two different leg lengths as well- the shortest are only about 2" while the longer are 4" or so. Color is black.

I prefer the thicker weave with the longer legs. The shorter leg allowed my thighs to chafe against the inseam of my pants where the two pantlegs join. Thicker knit seems to allow better airflow and moisture transport even though it's a little warmer. The antimicrobial treatment is still working after more than a year of wear. They go through the washer and dryer. I've been wearing them for both daily wear and outdoor activities.

Price has been $5-$8. I just looked online and didn't find them at Target. I believe they are the same thing as is sold elsewhere under "Champion", "Duofold", or Duo-Dry brands.

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

+ 1 for the ExOfficio Boxer/Briefs
    they run 25% off sales all the time
    Mike

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

As a fan of Merino wool I was looking at the IceBreaker too but opted for ExOfficio. The reasoning was based on the fact that thy dry very quickly so you can wash them every night if you want to.
    What I do now is to change into a clean pair after my wash at camp, use that for the night and the next day , wash it and wear the other one,
    Franco

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

I use a pair of running shorts with a built in brief for my primary outer wear. I'm currently using GoLite shorts (4 oz). When I put on my shell pants, the shorts stay on and serve as underwear. There are a lot of different kinds of running shorts with briefs on the market. The only hard part is choosing.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

My reviews (from extended use, I've worn through all of my original pairs of these undies):

– Patagonia Boxers: Great fabric, but they ride up horribly so not recommended. I have many pairs of these. I like their wacky patterns.

– REI boxer briefs: the cheapest, most uncool of my hiking boxers actually worked really well. They're made of just standard long john type stuff. They start looking old pretty quickly and the waist band frays, but they perform well throughout their life.

– Marmot boxers: essentially the same as pataguchi boxers, except without the cool patterns. Constantly pulling wedgies.

– Exofficio boxers: I've gone through four pairs of these, so plenty of experience here. I think that they're incredibly comfortable and do indeed hold the stink away. They've proven less durable than other pairs though. I've ripped holes in multiple pairs. The major downside of these is that I experience far more "crotch funk" with them. No, not actually a fungal infection, I'm not that dirty. But in hot, humid conditions when they haven't been washed in a while, they get really uncomfortable. Grossly uncomfortable. It's like they're not breathable enough down there. This hasn't happened with any of my other boxers ever. So I'm not as enthusiastic about these shorts as everyone else seems to be.

– Icebreaker boxers: I've got a pair of shorty boxer briefs, I'd prefer the normal boxer briefs. They're my current favorite. I brought them on a six month international trip along with the exofficio pair and they performed much better. Very comfortable, dry fast, breathe well, don't stink, don't ride up. Downside, as with most thin wool, they're not very durable and have ripped.

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

I've yet to have a chafing problem with my UnderArmour Boxer Jock. They're comfy and they're $20. Works for me.

Tim Haynes

@timalan

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I've tried various synthetics and wool, including the Ex Officios, and have tried running shorts with built in liners… and after everything I've tried, I am most comfortable in Icebreaker Beast, relaxed fit boxer briefs… They list for ~$45, but I've been able to find them for ~$20 — they've got some up now on Sierra Trading Post in the mid 20s, but STP always has so many coupons, you ought to be able to bring that down.

They work great for days of hiking. They do dry a lot more slowly than synthetics, so you have to keep that in mind if you'll be swimming in them (which I've done several times), but at 2.7oz (size small), for those of us that are just aiming for "lightweight" and not UL or SUL for right now, taking along an extra pair isn't a hassle, and the odor-resistance and comfort easily make it worth it, IMHO.

Underwear is something that is worth splurging on IMHO — keep the important bits well taken care of, eliminate chaffing, odor, etc… hard to put a price on that.

As a second consideration, the Ex Officio Give-N-Go line of synthetics comes in a close second for me and is about 30% cheaper, with much faster dry-times.

As a counterpoint, I've tried some of the Ibex line (wool like the Icebreaker), and the Icebreaker is far, far superior for hiking comfort.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

Thanks for all the input. It seems like I'm on the right track with the IB merinos. I will also check out the Target ones.

It seems that there have been mixed reviews with the Ex Officio ones. @ Jack H: I think their thickness would be a major hindrance with me. I need to keep the moisture low to keep the funk (and funky stuff) at bay.

(I can't believe I just said this on an internet forum. It will surely come up in future Google searches.)

mark henley

@flash582

Cuben Thong!

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

+1 on the Exofficio Briefs.

Much more comfortable/stretchy/breathable vs. the REI briefs that I have….in fact, I won't wear them anymore….too snug for my taste.

-Tony

Joe O’Toole
    BPL Member

@joe_otoole01

Locale: PNW

yep, under armour for me too.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Strange. I just did a Google search and someone did not like the ExOfficio because they are too thick and afraid of the funk factor. Maybe something more frequent than a weekly wash could do the trick.
    Franco

My wife lives on the other side of Oz. Last night she noted on a photo I sent her that I moved some furniture. So she asked me if I had changed anything else in the last month. My reply : yes , my underwear

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

I've tried quite a few, but I liked Ex Officio the best. The only time I didn't prefer them was in the summer in the desert. They were too thick for that.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

+1 ex officio box/briefs

The other thing that was worked really well for me are sahalie ultralight tights… often turned into box/briefs by cutting off the legs. Very briefable, dries quick, stink has been surprisingly minimal. Only downside is that they get runs.

It's been a bit weird using these tights and a kilt during the summer… I feel like I am turning girly… but they sure helped keep my from swimming in my own sweat.

–mark

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

+N on the Ex-Officio Briefs. 2 months in Switzerland last trip. No real signs of wear and the elastic waist is still excellent.

Cheers

b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

im from NZ, so maybe im a bit one-sided, but go the Icebreaker. ive got quite a bit of their stuff, undies, 3/4 leggings, 150,200 & 260 weight tops, hat & socks, its all good. the merino doesnt hold much odour either, so you should get about 40 weeks wear before a wash, ;-) jokes

James Patsalides
    BPL Member

@jamespatsalides-com

Locale: New England

These work nice for me, pretty durable, good elasticity and rock solid moisture control, in my experience. Not too expensive either, compared to some of the big hiking brands.

Gregg Martell
    BPL Member

@gmartell

Locale: Mid Atlantic

+1 Champion C9

You can't beat the price vs function. I also own REI and EMS Techwick. I think these work better for a 1/3 the price.

Zachary Crane
    BPL Member

@zcrane

Locale: Midwest, USA

Count me in as a fan for the Under Armour BoxerJock. I get the 'long' version which has a 9-inch inseam – never had a chaffing problem and they keep you really cool.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools