Topic

PLB’s, SPOTS vs. Cutting the Cord

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion PLB’s, SPOTS vs. Cutting the Cord

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 101 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Calling things that you don't agree with or simply don't understand retarded is …. you see this coming, you've got to see this coming …. retarded.

What is it with the wholesale increase in snarkiness/nastiness/name calling/petulance/self righteousness/etc. going on in the forums these days? It sure would be nice if folks could learn to give an opinion without feeling the need to call names or denigrate someone else or their opinion.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Dean
    >IT KEEPS THE WIFE HAPPY.
    How irrelevant and unrealistic… :-)
    (It might even get you a free pass too.)

Cheers

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Mountaineering vs. Backpacking? One is more "dangerous"? (Not sure I necessarily agree.) But how would that change the Spot rationale? Would it justify the evil "cord"?

With or "without a solid reason"…how would this affect billing?

And the avy transceiver…have y'all cut this cord too? Would you cut the recco chip out of your clothing?

I am inclined to think that breadcrumbs may be the most valuable feature of SPOT. There's a lot of info there.

x
    Doc Rog, is this where you were in the profile photo?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

To Dean's point, it makes the wife happy… I can't argue that one :)

From the little I have read, these devices are not 100% reliable or effective. It depends where you are and under what circumstances.

So if you want to haul the extra weight, go ahead. But I would not depend on them to get me out of a predictament. The one time you need it, may be the one time it doesn't work.

Prepare for your wilderness trip and learn what is safe to do, and what is not safe. If properly prepared and knowledgable, chances are good you will never need to send an emergency signal.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

There's nothing wrong with trying to stay alive. It's not only human nature, it's the nature of all life.

But the reality is that – There is NO Cord.
    everything is just a temporary fix.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Mountaineering vs. Backpacking? One is more "dangerous"? (Not sure I necessarily agree.)"

Have you ever done any serious climbing? I am referring to Alpine climbing/mountaineering, as opposed to gym or top roped sport routes. Serious question. Absolutely no snideness intended. Because it is totally beyond me how you could make the quoted statement. I am genuinely curious as to your reasoning and the experience that produced it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Try staring into the void some time. Once the panic and terror wash over you, the ensuing calmness is very liberating."

As is the fall that may well ensue.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Hartley

> Doc Rog, is this where you were in the profile photo?
    Close …
    Actually, it was taken out on the patio of the Gornergrat station, before we set out walking by devious routes back to Zermatt.
    Must say those mechanical uplifts are seductive … Our excuse was that we were 'resting' after walking from Chamonix.

Cheers

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"As is the fall that may well ensue."

Ah, but we all know that it's not the fall that kills you. It's the …… pak-rifle you forgot to break down and left loaded in your pack that snags a branch and goes off DURING the fall that kills you! ;-)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"It's the …… pak-rifle you forgot to break down and left loaded in your pack that snags a branch and goes off DURING the fall that kills you! ;-)"

If you're lucky. ;}

simon hackett

@minimalgear

Locale: UK

I'm not sure that the tracking function of the spot is the best use. The 'ok' either. It becomes what people expect and sometimes it is good for me to have no contact with anyone for a while. I have always been a person who values solitude and in Britain, while there is no true wilderness, it is possible to get this solitude. The 'ok' becomes another chore or responsibility with attendant risks if you fail to acconplish it (panic from the person checking you're ok). Ditto if the unit fails. I just want to walk eat and sleep. The romantic notion and the cord are all in your head but that is not to say that they do not exist. Do what you need to do to find your own wilderness. A PLB? that's another matter but as far as I can see, if it's just sitting there doing nothing then it doesn't bother me.

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

One of the only arguments I've heard in favor of PLB's that resonates with me is that they increase the safety of all the individuals working rescue. However, it seems that as these devices become increasing popular, the vast majority of instances are false alarms… I have to believe that this can only increase the risk to the rescue folks, since they're are forced to respond as if each call is an emergency until proven otherwise.

http://www.wildsnow.com/2323/plb-rescue-beacon-acr/

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

That would depend on the total exposure of rescue teams. If each mission takes 1/10 the manpower and helicopter time because it's a rescue, not search, but there are 10x as many missions then it's a wash.

It's definitely a subject that the S&R organizations ought to be tracking.

Also, it might be good for the local S&R organizations to have a flyer that can be attached to wilderness permits discussing "when to push the button".

Viewing 13 posts - 101 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools