Topic

Gatewood Cape Setup

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gatewood Cape Setup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

In fact, I have of of these, well used but still hanging in there. In summer, it's often the only rain protection I take along for a weekender, especially when the forecast is for dry weather. Even so, you learn not to trust the meteorologists in Ohio, bless them.

It'd stuffed into small ziplock, but again, I probably don't need the ziplock.

Stargazer

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

Hennessy must watch this forum. They've put tarps that double as rain capes on their site. I'm gong to start saving my pennies.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

I'm going to go this route instead of using the loop approach suggested by MLD. I'll also do a couple of taut-line hitches just to see which approach works best in the field. So the question is . . .

How long do I cut the guylines? MLD suggests 16 inches (I think), but a fair chunk of the length is made up of the loop. I hate to sound like a gram weenie, but, well, shoot, I guess I am.

Guyliners, how long are yours?

Stargazer

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

I always look for roots and saplings to tie off to before I get out the stakes so I vote for longer for the flexibility. Of course I don't own a Cape so I don't know if there's any advantage there.

YAMABUSHI !
    BPL Member

@thunderhorse

Nice touch with the elastic tensioners…

What type of elastic did you use?

just shock cord?

Gatewood poncho seems awesome too

Coin Page
    BPL Member

@page0018

Locale: Southeastern USA

What a great idea. Thank you. $0.88 at Wallmart from "Ozark"

Talk about disposable. And light. This is basically a tailored drycleaning bag, about as heavy and durable. But, as I just discovered this past weekend, it works very well during a steady rain. Great for cooking, standing around, stretching my legs, answering the call, etc. Very successful in combination with the rainpants I carry anyway. It would be shredded with the slightest contact with a stiff twig or thorn, or carrying a pack, but as an solution to going out of the cape in a rain, I think it works very well. Thanks again.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

Yup, that's my plan too. I only wish they had a disposeable type (light) poncho with longer sleeves — to keep my down or synthetic warmth layer sleeves dry in camp. I'm thinking of modifying a disposeable poncho to add some sort of sleeves, using bread bags or the plastic that a newspaper is delivered in, that sort of thing. Not a huge deal, just a nice-to-do mod, perhaps.

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools