Topic

TNF DIAD Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) TNF DIAD Jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sheldon McElhiney
    BPL Member

@mcelhineysc

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Does anyone have any field experience with the relatively new North Face DIAD jacket? Sounds like it balances a fair number of features in a 7oz package.

Thanks,
    Sheldon

Jonathan Shefftz
    BPL Member

@jshefftz1

Locale: Western Mass.

I checked it out in a store and was very impressed.
    You can buy it from EMS for $75 by calling any of their stores and having them search #210-216-661: they’ll tell you which stores *should* have it, then give those stores a call. Shipping is $6.

William von Kaenel

@ritterview

I just checked TNF web site, and they don’t list any Diad jacket, nor any other ultralight jackets.

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear-shop-subcategory.jsp?category=11&site=NA&subcategory=111

Jonathan Shefftz
    BPL Member

@jshefftz1

Locale: Western Mass.

They’ve discontinued the current production run; according to the BPL OR show article, TNF is bringing it back with what appear to be some minor modifications:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/apparel_orsm06.html
    “Of the more interesting rain jackets on the market is The North Face Diad Jacket. TNF announced some modifications for it that will appear in the 2007 model to both clean it up and improve its performance. For 8.5 ounces, you get rain jacket with a tremendous fit (well-articulated, excellent adjustable hood, mid-length hem, long enough arms), welded seam technology, core vents, chest Napoleon pocket, dual handwarmer pockets, 2.5-layer fabric, adjustable cuffs, and a drawcord hem. Where on earth does this product save weight? In its remarkable 15d fabric, branded “HyVent DT” (note the similarity to the excellent Entrant DT fabric, which has breathability rivaling eVENT). Unfortunately, TNF ruins the photography experience with its reflective logos. Regardless, this will be a jacket to watch for in the coming season.”
    I prefer to take the 62.5% price reduction though by buying it now!
    Meanwhile, Google has preserved the old TNF page:
    http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:qskVnHh7vfkJ:www.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp%3Fsite%3DNA%26model%3DAXM3+the+north+face+diad&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=31

Luke Douglas

@lukedoug

I just recently purchased a Diad from my local EMS store. I have not had a chance to wear it in the field yet so I cannot comment on its performance in a highly aerobic situation. I have put it on when I was wet though and I did dry rather quickly (on par with or better than my old Marmot Precip). I can say that the cut is quite good (if a bit on the technical side) and the interior of the fabric is comfortable against the skin. One thing to note is that the pit zips are very small.

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

I recommend last years because it comes in at approx 7 oz while the new one is 8.5 or something (they added hand warmer pockets).

I modified mine (men’s medium) by removing all the barrel locks (6 of them!) and overly heavy duty shockcord and got it down to 6.1 oz., which I’m happy with for a full zip, pit zip wpb jacket.

I’ve been testing mine to see if I could get away with using it as a wind shirt. The fabric is probably Torey Entrant DT and TNF rebranded it as HyVent DT. There is a Torey Fabrics hang tag with the TNF tags when you buy the jacket. The Torey stuff supposedly is the next best breather under eVent. I have to say it is very comfy and very close to my Houdini, but more crinkly and clammy when sweaty. Still testing though.

The pit zips are a fine length in my opinion, definitely shorter than usual though. However, the problem for me is that they are not centered under my pits, but are offset such that the majority of the opening is on my arm and not enough under my torso pit area.

The fit is different than the Patagonia and Mountain Hardware jackets in that it is wider cut in the shoulder and shorter in the torso. This is great for me because I have a stockier build. Normally I buy a small patagonia shell (except for the specter which I buy a medium) and get a little binding in the shoulders but have normal length in the arms and torso. A med. patagonia is nice in the shoulders but I am swimming every else.

All in all, for $75 bucks it is a great deal and I recommend it.

Joseph Rothstein

@joe_r

I was in the Seattle REI store today, and they had several DIADs for $70, but only in size small. If you’re still looking at the DIAD and you live near an REI store, then it might be worth checking out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools