Topic

Rocky Goretex socks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Rocky Goretex socks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Don't remember who was looking for these, and can't find the thread even though I know it was recent, but I bought a pair of the 13" height (they have the shorter ones too) at BotachTactical.com. They seem to have plenty, and they were only $42 a pair.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I've got a pair of these. I don't use them much, but I did bring them on one trip where a buddy wore them for 3 days of hiking through snow/slush/water and they kept his feet dry. They are a bit of pain to get on, but not rediculously so.

Elena Lee
    BPL Member

@lenchik101

Locale: Pacific Northwest (USA)

bought a pair from US Cavalry when there was my size on sale for $35. i did cheat thought and tried a pair at REI prior to find out what my size is. you have to try it on first because of the slim opening. it's not too bad once you practice a couple of times :) i just recently hiked in mesh shoes and these socks, my feet stayed pretty dry but accumulated moisture inside from sweating, but they never felt cold and wet. its a great product if you are not using event/gtx shoes/gaitor combo, especially here in PNW.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

How do you size these? Is it your shoe size? Or do you have to size up to accomodate socks? I'd like to get a pair for winter trail running.

Chris Nott
    Spectator

@chrisn

Locale: Canada west coast

Sizing is tricky. There is some stretch to them but not a lot so it's a matter of trying them on in person to see what size will go over your heel. I wear 10.5 in shoes and my Goretex socks are size 12. They will fit a bit baggy in places but you can get used to the fit quickly. Once you find the size that will fit over your heel, you should be able to fit most sock thicknesses under them. They will act somewhat like a vapor barrier so you can wear thinner socks.

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

If you have bulky feet, these will be a pain or simply impossible to use. For thin feet like mine, they're perfect.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I went up one size over my normal shoe size (8). You gotta wiggle 'em on but it's not a huge pain. Just takes 10 seconds or so per foot. I could probably get my shoe size on, but it would likely take annoyingly long.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Just went and tried mine on. I'm normally an 8.5 foot, so I bought a pair of 9s and a pair of 10s. I first put on a pair of my regular hiking socks (Icebreaker Light Hikers) and then the Rocky's.

First, it helps a lot if you roll the Rocky's down before putting them on. Much easier.

The 9s were tight with the light hikers on, but fit well with just a Smartwool liner. The 10s fit well with the light hikers on. I then put on a pair of the liners and a pair of Smartwool trekking heavy crew, and the 10s still seemed okay. A bit snug, but I don't think constrictingly so. FWIW.

I do think these would not fit wide feet very well, as my feet are on the cusp of normal/wide, and the Rocky's are snuggest right at the sides of the balls of my feet.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Well, I have wide feet, so I may be out of luck. I just know from last winter that my Salomon GTX trail shoes aren't going to hold up for extended periods in the snow.

I see that EMS (my only real local gear option) sells Gore Gore-tex socks. I'll just have to go try some on.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

The price is definitely right at BotachTactical.com, but the shipping is not. $10.83 for UPS ground for a pair of socks is a tad pricey. Bought a pair anyway. I am such a sucker for stuff like this, especially when I plan to hike a really wet trail like the Shawnee State Forest in Ohio. Much of the trail is underwater during the rainy season, and in Ohio, every season is the rainy season. (Except for winter, which is the snowy season.)

Stargazer

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I think Cabelas makes stretch goretex socks that might fit better than the rockies. I have no experience with the Cabelas brand.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I think the Rocky socks are so good BECAUSE of the fit. If you get the proper size, there is no excess material to bunch up and cause blisters. Bunching can cause repeated flexing in the same area, and lead to a breakdown of the membrane. I've found that a size up from my normal shoe size is perfect for my feet.
    I don't mind wet feet, but i hate COLD wet feet. Rockys have enabled me to wear trail shoes for 95% of my hiking.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I use mine with my sandals for year round use. Just a thin or medium wool or poly sock with the Rocky over it keeps my feet pretty warm and if I need more warmth I just throw a pair or really thick wool socks over that.

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

Locale: New England

"The price is definitely right at BotachTactical.com, but the shipping is not. $10.83 for UPS ground for a pair of socks is a tad pricey. Bought a pair anyway. I am such a sucker for stuff like this, especially when I plan to hike a really wet trail like the Shawnee State Forest in Ohio. Much of the trail is underwater during the rainy season, and in Ohio, every season is the rainy season. (Except for winter, which is the snowy season.)"

I would order with some hesitance from this place. I personally have not placed an order but I was looking to purchase some Rocky Gortex socks and the price seemed to good to be true. I googled "Botach Tactical Fraud" (I often do when I get that funny feeling about a place) and numerous complaints came up alleging at the very least extremely poor customer service all the way to fraud. Has anyone ordered from these guys? Maybe there ok I just thought I would mention it.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

I ordered 2 pair of Rocky goretex socks from them last year. No issues. Got the socks pretty quickly, and got what I ordered.

But there was another thread here somewhere of folks ordering an emergency bivy and not getting what they ordered, and not getting the greatest customer service either, so I may have been lucky.

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

Thanks Doug maybe I will give them a shot I cant seem to find Rocky's anywere else. How long did it take them from order date to get to your doorstep?

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Clint – REI sells them. I'd be very very very careful ordering from Botach. In fact, I wouldn't. Based on personal experience, if they're out, they'll still take your money and then not answer your calls or emails. They have a very odd approach to running their business – as if their stock and your orders are a nuisance to deal with.

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

REI currenty list them as out of stock. Searching after my last post, I just saw them listed at CAMPMOR.com ($59.99)appears they have alot, sizes (5-14)

I have not ordered from them before but I have heard they are good. I am a size 10-10.5 depending on brands, I have read to size up for Rocky's, I plan on wearing Injinji* Toe socks underneath

Do I go for size 11 or 12?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Hi Clint,

I really don't remember, but it certainly was less than two weeks.

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

Thanks Douglas

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Do these things keep water out when crossing rivers?

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Lynn – The socks themselves are pretty waterproof, but water would get in over the tops if you were submerged deeper than the height of stretchy band on the tops of the socks.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I think I'm going to have to order some of these tonight. My GTX Salomons gave out last week, and I need something to keep my feet dry in slopping spring weather when it's still too cold to let my feet get wet. I don't want to go back to my Asolo Fugitives if I can avoid it. At at size 12.5 shoe with slightly wide feet, I'm just going to have to order a size 13 and 14 and see if one fits. I've been to Cabelas, REI and EMS and none of them carry gore tex socks in store.

James Langford

@ekdog

I've always used SealSkinz,which I love. Are these similar?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools