Topic

Pretty funny..

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 51 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

"And, yes, face it. He's the mainstream."

I'll look for him in the December issue of Backpacker magazine. ;)

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

>I'll look for him in the December issue of Backpacker magazine. ;)

Ha! ;-D LOL

Semi-seriously, though, I used to think the Backpacker mag folks were the mainstream. Then, one fine fall day I was walking along Wildcat Hollow, the "most popular" backpack trail in Ohio according to Backpacker magazine. I didn't see any backpackers. I did see a bunch of gun totin' hunters with their big, ol' Tent-Dude wedge tents camped 1/4 of a mile from the trailhead into the national forest. Imagine two score of Tent Dudes and their tents as prolific as mushrooms.

About half a mile from the end of the loop, I turned a blind corner and was confronted by a bow hunter with his bow pointed straight at my chest. Apparently, I sounded like a deer.

That's the true mainstream, oh my spiritual brothers and sisters. There were a lot more of them than there will ever be of us.

Stick together. Don't fight (or get aggravated) over inconsequentialities. We need each other more than I have the power of words to say. Only an arrow aimed at your chest by the "mainstream" can make the argument effectively.

God bless the Tent Dude. He has a right to his opinion. Just hope that he's on a different stretch of the trail than you. (Check out his other posts on guns and other more serious ordinance.)

Getting off my soapbox,and with apologies,

Stargazer

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

My one concern is if he's really smarter than all of us combined and he's playing us. THEN think what we would look like! I mean, think about it for a moment. If he hates TartpTents so much, then why in the world does he HAVE one?

Hmm…

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Suffering ?
    I suffered for my music, and now is your turn …

Thomas
    A guy that wears a bear and uses this signature
    "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
    can't be bad…
    ( I bet Bill is turning in his grave. Old bones , uncomfortable mat , dripping silnylon casket ?)

and that bit about the bow and the dear reminds me of why I carry a spare pair of undies.

Miguel
    You may want to watch some of his other videos. For example part II
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONJStWwtavg&feature=channel
    Franco

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

i just sent him a hammock to "test"
    i cant wait to see THOSE results.. XD

David Ure

@familyguy

Franco – that link shows an analysis worse than the first one.

He indicates: "base weight? come on people, don't you carry food?"

I have a headache. Thanks for the link.

What's with the Rooster?

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

"Thomas
    A guy that wears a bear and uses this signature
    "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
    can't be bad…
    ( I bet Bill is turning in his grave. Old bones , uncomfortable mat , dripping silnylon casket ?)
    and that bit about the bow and the dear reminds me of why I carry a spare pair of undies."

LOL!

Franco, my friend, you are a funny guy, a quality somewhat lacking in the world these days. Idester and others here, ditto. This hobby is supposed to be fun, after all.

As we used to say in the 60's,

"When yer smashin' the state, keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart." Of course, I no longer want to smash the state, but getting away from it into the woods for a few pleasant days is definitely a respite.

The thing about the Tent Dude is his relentless, grim, gun-totin' negativity.

In fact, there's a backstory behind my avatar that is not unrelated to this discussion because it reflects on how our point of view about the natural world differs so markedly from the Tent Dude's.

If you don't mind a bit of chaff, see

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=25652&skip_to_post=210379#210379

or just go to the Chaff section of the forum.

Chaffingly yours,

Stargazer

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I somehow missed this when it was posted. Now that I've seen it, I just want to send my condolences out to that poor, poor Tarptent. The travesty of his pitch is something that will haunt me when I close my eyes.

Adam

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

WOW. I just watched part two, and in some ways it was even funnier. I love how he throws the heavy trekking pole in and counts it as added water weight! And he isn't just ignorant about how to pitch a tarptent, he doesn't know how to pack one either. The tarptent ended up almost twice as big, packed, as the campmore. Very funny stuff. He even takes a dig at the fact that the colour of the Tarptent stuff sack doesn't match the colour of the tent! Hahahaha. Gotta have your priorities right. And that stuff about the dog and dog pack is just plain cryptic.

I'm gonna watch all of his videos as he's just compulsively idiotic to watch.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"My one concern is if he's really smarter than all of us combined and he's playing us. THEN think what we would look like! I mean, think about it for a moment."

I'll bet he's lurking around here right now with abig S.E.G. plastered on his face and tears rolling down his cheeks. I mean, how many folks on this site has he sucked in anyway? What a hoot. ;)
    Even bigger hoot? Tent Dude on the cover of Backpacker Mag.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Wow! if you check out his profile on you tube, you will see he is friends with our pal nutnfancy. Cool.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

nutfancy in a wig and false beard?

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

I haven't watched all his videos but nutnfancy doesn't have anything on this guy from what I've seen.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

I'm trying to imagine carrying a big, old knife like one of his into the bush. One of them weighs more than my pack.

Give him credit, though. At least he is more tolerant of the opposing POV than the Tent Dude.

Still, I get nightmares thinking about the kinds of folks (armed and slightly off center, as it were) who are on the trail with me.

Should have taken up knitting as a hobby.

So what does "nutfancy" mean, anyway?

Stargazer

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

There is a place for those big survival knives if you want to be able to process good sized chunks of wood. Personally I carry a much larger knife than most here (a 4" Benchmade) but it has nothing on nutnfancy's selections.

Oh and his name has an "N" in the middle of it to make it sound like nuthin' fancy… which is ironic because he has some pretty fancy knives.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I watched one of the not fancy videos and yes he does stress the "to each is own " bit.
    It certainly strikes me as strange that one would extend his "cape abilities" by carrying a 9lbs raft to catch a trout.
    For some reason those kind of guys seem to me more insecure than "independent".
    Franco

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Yeah, I've watched a couple of nutnfancy's vids. They're rather… boring IMO. Nothing like tent guy since he thinks he needs to explain his philosophy over and over again all the time.

I'd almost be interested in a 9 lb. pack raft if it was a 10th of the cost of an Alpacka raft since it's probably pretty tough… but with all the accessories needed for safety it would surely double most of our base weights.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

>Oh and his name has an "N" in the middle of it to make it sound like nuthin' fancy… which is ironic because he has some pretty fancy knives.

Oy, sorry. My dyslexia kicked in again.

Some of those knives look like you could engage in single combat. Survivalist mode really is a completely different (to me, incomprehensible point of view).

These guys are definitely not out for a walk in the woods to hear the birdies tweet. In fact, in a pinch, I'm sure that Nutnfancy would think that the birdie was quite tasty.

Stargazer

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Classic vids. I just love the pitch:TT Pitch

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Some appreciate nature and some don't. Many survivalists have no appreciation for nature but there are some who are more interested in maintaining primitive skills that we've lost as a race. Personally I appreciate how the Native Americans viewed the world around them and have a great respect for those that have the patience to learn the old ways of making cordage and the like.

His knives do tend to be quite large but they aren't truly fighting knives, however, I'm sure they would serve in a pinch. A true fighting knife isn't really good for much else… though I have used one for more mundane tasks than self defense. This is a true fighting knife.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerber_Mark_II

As you can see it's not much good for processing wood. It will carve a ham in a pinch but for true usefulness a double edged knife is more dangerous than it's worth and the blade isn't strong enough to really work with. It's a killing tool. Period.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I think Henry should go over to Tent Dude's place and give him a good slap upside the head for pitching his tent that way. I probably could have thrown a wadded up tarptent out of a car window at 70 miles an hour and come up with a better result than this guy.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Oooh, I just watched his video review of the NeoAir….he bought it new online, then disses it because it's only 3/4 length. Well hellooooo, YOU bought it that length. In the end he never even bothers to inflate it so it's really quite a non-review. Also pretty funny that he couldn't manage to stay on his mummy shaped mat. I wonder if he was sleeping upside down on it??????

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

I couldn't understand a word he said in those "weigh in" videos for the music blaring.

I thought he was just weighing them and not really complaining about the 3/4 length of the Neoair short.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I don't know how he can pick a winning mattress (Prolite 4 small) when he didn't even inflate the NeoAir.

Viewing 24 posts - 51 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools